Racing down the runway

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I don't know why everyone acts as if he has to brake super early, 2640 feet of braking distance? I say he could run flat out until at least 2/3 of a mile maybe 3/4 mile. He doesn't have to come to a complete stop, just needs to get down slow enough to make whatever turn the width of the runway will accomodate. The brakes will get very soft on the second run so be very mindful of that. With enough width you could start off heading towards the end you're starting from and make a u turn at 20-40 mph to give you a rolling start for extra mph. I got to play on a private runway in my '93 and got north of 140 before braking so you should be able to hit 170-180.

Van@RevanRacing

I don't know why everyone acts as if he has to brake super early, 2640 feet of braking distance? I say he could run flat out until at least 2/3 of a mile maybe 3/4 mile. He doesn't have to come to a complete stop, just needs to get down slow enough to make whatever turn the width of the runway will accomodate. The brakes will get very soft on the second run so be very mindful of that. With enough width you could start off heading towards the end you're starting from and make a u turn at 20-40 mph to give you a rolling start for extra mph. I got to play on a private runway in my '93 and got north of 140 before braking so you should be able to hit 170-180.

I've made multiple passes at the Texas Mile in a number of different GT500's.

Goliad had a shorter shut down area (1/4) mile.

Now take into account that this is the equivalent of an aero brick and said brick weighs 4,000 lbs with driver and a few gallons of fuel and is traveling 160 - 170 MPH at the 3/4 mile mark he has to then slow the car down and manage to turn in less than a 1/4 mile so he essentially has to reduce speed by 140 MPH in 1,320 ft.

I've been in excess of 170 MPH in a 2011 GT500 at Goliad. I've been in excess of 190 in a 2008 GT500 at Goliad. It comes up quick and you are on the brakes hard and fast. I have forgotten how many rotors we have smoked at both Texas Mile locations.

Big difference between 140 mph and 170 mph and 1,320 of stopping room the closing distance for the end of the track is like ground rush if you sky dive. Most drag strips have an additional 1/4 of shut down and if you are running in excess of 150 MPH NHRA/IHRA Rules specify that you are required to have a parachute. In excess of 200 MPH and they require two parachutes.

I say run a half mile and have fun and enjoy. Then bring that car over to the Texas Mile in October and let's run it flat out for a mile!

I'm going back with the Grabber Orange Vert with some new goodies.....

2SiKGT500

Established Member
So im the guy that we was going to run our cars at the airport. Its my mom and her husband that own and run the Jennings private airport. It was my moms idea to run our cars. We was going to do a run down the 1mile runway when we landed our plane back at the airport but it started to rain. Last time my step dads friend has a old cobra he ran down the runway. Maybe one weekend she can shut the airport downand let everybody come and run. I think it would b fun to get a bunch of cobras together and run a mile down one runway and have a 1/4 mile drags down the other runway. Oyea about the insurance thing couse u will have to sign a waiver RUN at ur own risk.

BrettR

Established Member
That would be awesome. We need to talk them in to doing an annual thing like the air show they put on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

finsrin

Established Member
If GT500 is not here yet.
Can I bring 60 Tbird ?
Try to top 100mph in 1/2 mile.
Or there is 2005 Corvette.

Users who are viewing this thread