Radiator fan

macuser27

Established Member
While driving earlier today, I noticed a smell which reminded me of burning coolant, and pulled over. I popped the hood and see that the radiator fan was not running.

I read that the fan would kick in when the A/C is on. So I checked it just now and with the A/C on (compressor clutch kicking in), the fan was not running.

I ran wires from the battery directly to the fan, with the same result - radiator fan not working. Does this confirm that the radiator fan assembly needs replacing? Anything else I should check?

bobby_0081

Established Member
While driving earlier today, I noticed a smell which reminded me of burning coolant, and pulled over. I popped the hood and see that the radiator fan was not running.

I read that the fan would kick in when the A/C is on. So I checked it just now and with the A/C on (compressor clutch kicking in), the fan was not running.

I ran wires from the battery directly to the fan, with the same result - radiator fan not working. Does this confirm that the radiator fan assembly needs replacing? Anything else I should check?

What year is the car? What engine size engine does it have?

96gt02

Established Member
If you ran direct power to the fan than yes your fan is toast, otherwise it could have been a fuse or if it worked with the a/c on than it would be the resistor. I had mine go bad on me and it took the fuse with it because the fan motor was basically trying to jump out of the assembly lol, so i replaced the fan with the dorman one and a new fuse.

Last edited:

bobby_0081

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. 1999 Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC. Original 2 speed (Hi/Low) fan.

It's hard to say but it seems that the fan is bad from your explanation. My fan stopped working on my 2002 GT and it was my CCRM that is mounted under the passenger side fender that was the problem. It sounds like your fan is bad though.

Last edited:

macuser27

Established Member
If you ran direct power to the fan than yes your fan is toast, otherwise it could have been a fuse or if it worked with the a/c on than it would be the resistor. I had mine go bad on me and it took the fuse with it because the fan motor was basically trying to jump out of the assembly lol, so i replaced the fan with the dorman one and a new fuse.

Yes, I wanted to eliminate the chance of a bad relay (CCRM), fuse and resistor and thus wired the fan directly to the battery. It seemed logical in my head, but I like checking in with more experience people on forums just in case.

It's hard to say but it seems that the fan wrong from your explanation. My fan stopped working on my 2002 GT and it was my CCRM that is mounted under the passenger side fender that was the problem. It sounds like your fan is bad though.

My first thought was CCRM since I had just replaced it a few days earlier with a remanufactured one from Autozone (1 year warranty). Hence, I wired up power directly from the battery.

On a positive note, the reman CCRM fixed my A/C problem, which wasn't working with the old CCRM.

I'll update this thread once I have the replacement fan installed. Wish me luck!

macuser27

Established Member
Fan replaced and all is good again. Disappointed that the original fan failed at 89K miles. Made in USA.

96gt02

Established Member
DONT FEEL BAD MY FAN FAILED AT UNDER 50k BUT IN FAIRNESS ITS STILL 12 YEARS OLD LOL

Users who are viewing this thread