Radiator Question for > 600hp

SRBCitrusCobra17

Established Member
Hello everyone, Mine is getting rebuilt due to a CS issue. I was wondering if it was worth while swapping out the stock radiator for a larger aftermarket one for improved cooling. I have read there are potentially some clearance issues with aftermarket ones. Just curious what others have done of if stock is just fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Thanks for any info.

MG0h3

Established Member
The stock one is excellent.

I took mine to a radiator shop and they said you wont be able to find anything better aftermarket.

Something to do with some dimples on the ribs.

A member here has a 1600hp turbo car. Stock radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm over 600hp and the stock radiator works pretty well. I recently upgraded to the Mark VIII fan and that seemed to help too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as I've seen it explained the stock radiator is very good and larger radiator doesn't do much without increasing airflow through it. If the car is going to run hot it's basically just buying more time before it runs hot. Depending on circumstances that may be enough if the car wants to get warm sitting in traffic or something

DCguy

Established Member
Yes clearance is an issue at the top of the radiator where the coolant reservoirs sit. Many aftermarket tanks are bigger in both width and height.....and with a bigger radiator you have the problem of them making contact.

I found this out when mocking up my setup with bigger tanks/radiator and ended up doing a combo tank from Flathers as its a smaller profile and flat underneath.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes clearance is an issue at the top of the radiator where the coolant reservoirs sit. Many aftermarket tanks are bigger in both width and height.....and with a bigger radiator you have the problem of them making contact.

I found this out when mocking up my setup with bigger tanks/radiator and ended up doing a combo tank from Flathers as its a smaller profile and flat underneath.

some them have issues with the abs block bracket as well

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think I mentioned in another thread I tried a Champion radiator. Which is basically what SVE and all of them use. I had to bend the A/C line a little and I don't remember if I loosened the ABS pump. But I do remember it dropped right in. The only reason I didn't run it is because my True Forged tank only has around 2" of clearance between the support and the part of the tank that hangs down. The radiator was 2.25" or 2.5" so it wouldn't fit without modifying the tank itself. I had to trim the fan shroud for clearance with the stock radiator.

blwn89gt

Established Member
I put a fluidyne in my car and I don’t remember having any clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread