Radio

WYSIWYG

Established Member
A few years ago I changed radios to a '94 factory radio as the original radio quit working. Know a couple years ago the current radio would work great on AM but FM after 20 minutes it would practically shutdown the volume. Now the radio turns on but no audio sound. I'm wondering is the factory amp or the radio is the problem.

Thanks.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I would assume it is the head unit. Mine was the same way until I had it repaired. I also bought a back-up head unit with CD but it does the same thing (and also needs to be repaired).

WYSIWYG

Established Member
Finally found a '93 radio on eBay last week and it arrived today. Plugged it in and guess what is works. So the '94 radio must have issues with the older system but same wiring plug ins

Goose17

Established Member
Finally found a '93 radio on eBay last week and it arrived today. Plugged it in and guess what is works. So the '94 radio must have issues with the older system but same wiring plug ins

Congrats!

Even though my OEM 93 radio sounds terrible compared to the newer stuff, I like the "time-warp" of having the old stuff in the old car.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Did you put the shorting plug in place on the back of the '94 head unit? It's the small 6 pin plug that fits the top position on the backside. It's for any Slave unit attached. If no slave unit is used, you need the shorting plug or you will have radio issues

c457e9e225e952047de7f69a2a4838ee.jpg

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I would assume it is the head unit. Mine was the same way until I had it repaired. I also bought a back-up head unit with CD but it does the same thing (and also needs to be repaired).

Where did you have it repaired? Mine has started to shut down.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
What did they charge you?

I have a 93 CD player I would like to repair

Goose17

Established Member
What did they charge you?

I have a 93 CD player I would like to repair

I'd also like to know the price. My CD player just started freaking out too.

I honestly don't recall the price, but thinking it was $100-200ish. I was happy to pay it to keep the car factory original.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Another alternative is a contour mystique radio. They are usually much cheaper than 93 mustang specific radios. I've picked up two off eBay for under $50. Other ford vehicles had them as well, but slightly rare to find. Contour seems to be the most common to get it. 1993 f150 also had it.

To make them work, you need to swap the faceplates, and the lower panel to run the mustang cubby. But it's a simple swap. Just be aware some do not come with a "clock" button and have a 6th preset as well.

0bfc97c6882606fa134948286b144cf4.jpg

Top radio is actually an original, non working, 1993 mustang radio. It has a contour faceplate on it because I am running a contour radio in the car. Works fine. Faceplate and cubby swap over perfectly.

16523a988ca9b7220a6b5b82892fa3ab.jpg

But I would like to repair the original radio some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread