Ram 1500 Diesel to be offered

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
its a great move. nice to finally see someone offering a diesel in a 1500. though, i'm interested to see where it will stand pricewise.

Driver500

Established Member
Chevy made a 1/2 ton diesel in the 90s. They discontinued it due to the chassis not being strong enough.

Dad had one and they replaced the frame under warranty due to it being twisted.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
This might finally get the Big 3 off their asses in putting a small displacement TDI deisel into pickups for fleet and towing use.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think this could pull a lot of people in that really like the diesel option, but don't want a huge HD truck. You see a lot of people with HD trucks that have never even come close to using them how they should be, so this could be a nice alternative. Combine this with their new 8spd ZF, and you could pull down some really good mileage.

This could also help the push for more mainstream diesels in the U.S.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I think this could pull a lot of people in that really like the diesel option, but don't want a huge HD truck. You see a lot of people with HD trucks that have never even come close to using them how they should be, so this could be a nice alternative. Combine this with their new 8spd ZF, and you could pull down some really good mileage.

This could also help the push for more mainstream diesels in the U.S.
I would totally buy a 1/2 ton w/ a deisel engine.

I wonder if the new one Dodge is doing is somehow based off the 4BT Cummins...

Nevermind, read that it will be the same motor as the Jeep GC has....gayz.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ford is currently producing a 4.4L v8 diesel on the same assembly line as the 6.7. It is being used in the new Range Rovers. Same engine that was originally tested for the F150. They said it would be $8,000 extra and would not sell well.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Chevy made a 1/2 ton diesel in the 90s. They discontinued it due to the chassis not being strong enough.

Dad had one and they replaced the frame under warranty due to it being twisted.

Those 6.5 wouldn't bust a grape in a food fight.

They were problematic and prone to any number of issues. Too much power wasn't one of them.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Raises hand to get in line for one.

Wish it would be the inline 4 cummins that Nissan is thinking about putting in the Titan.

hoamskilet

Established Member
This is an interesting move for sure. There's guys constantly yapping about wanting a diesel in a half ton truck....I'll be interested to see if they put their money where their mouth is. I gotta think that if there's any success at all, the other two would have to follow suit quickly. Only concern is if the motor has any real guts to it people will start trying to haul thing they really should be using a heavy duty truck for. There's a lot of stupid people that don't realize there's more to a HD truck than a diesel motor with a lot of torque

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Same motor thats going to come in the GC?
I own a Ram 1500 with a Hemi. I am reasonably interested in a small diesel option, but Id much rather have a small I-6 Cummins version. A smaller I-6, I-5, I-4.

Last edited:

wht93gted

Established Member
Raises hand to get in line for one.

Wish it would be the inline 4 cummins that Nissan is thinking about putting in the Titan.

You aren't kidding!

I've been looking at getting a new truck because the 13mpg average I get is killing me in my '06 Ram. I was looking at the new 2013s and I love them, even for only a 3pmg increase.

However, with this coming out, I'm certainly waiting to see more info!

Is an Italian built, Fiat collaboration, diesel going to stand up?

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
You aren't kidding!

I've been looking at getting a new truck because the 13mpg average I get is killing me in my '06 Ram. I was looking at the new 2013s and I love them, even for only a 3pmg increase.

However, with this coming out, I'm certainly waiting to see more info!

But the overhead computer says 19MPG lol. I feel ya brother:lol1:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

The Europeans have been building and investing in light duty diesel tech way more than the U.S. has, so I wouldn't be too concerned. This is nothing new to them. With their economies of scale, they might be able to offer this option at a much lower premium than what we are used to seeing when we normally check the diesel box for a HD.

Last edited:

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
I think it's great news that the Ram is going to offer a diesel for the 1/2 ton market.

However Ford already has the right idea with the TT 3.5L Ecoboost

Users who are viewing this thread