Ram 1500 Diesel to be offered

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Too bad I'm a Ford guy because I really like what Chrysler has been doing with their trucks a lot more than Ford recently. Very cool though. Come on Ford how about a I6 diesel for the F150?

There's a good chance you'll be seeing the new 3.2L I-5 Powerstroke in the F-150.

wildride02gt

Established Member
I've been following the rumors on this motor for a while now. It has been in development for quite awhile, and is built to be a beast. The Europeans have been using all sorts of small diesels for decades, they are pretty much THE authority when it comes to high efficiency, small diesels. It's total package weight is equivalent to the Hemi, which is why it works in the GC. Also, the company that has been developing this motor, VM Motori, is half owned by Chrysler/Fiat, and GM. Chances are that this motor, or a similiar one, will be going into GM trucks and SUV's soon as well.
How many folks here have driven and/or worked on the 6.2/6.5 diesels from the '80's that was in almost every Chevy 2500/3500, and the HUMVEE? Those things were dogs, but in the lightweight, base model M998 HUMVEE, got insane mileage. I know this from personal experience in Iraq. We ran 500-600 mile trips daily on one tank of fuel, mainly highway speed. It wasn't the most powerful motor, but it can take epic abuse and keep on running.
When I got my '07 Ram 1500 QC, I almost got the 2500 JUST for the diesel. glad I didn't then, but over the 90K of ownership, I've only averaged 14MPG. I can only imagine the mileage possible from this little diesel turbo V6. Plus the torque! 420 lb-ft in a 1500 will be really nice.
I'm personally looking forward to this new direction for 1/2 ton trucks.

Fuerza

Established Member
better low end, better for towing, better mpg, potentially more reliable and longer lasting, not to mention a better looking truck.

with all the issues the ecoboost is having combined with owners not getting near the acclaimed mpg, i'd stay far away from an eb.

its just me, but taking a smaller gas motor and throwing FI on it puts enough strain on it as is (regardless of the factory internals). then asking it to perform the same tasks of larger displacement n/a gas motors is just asking for problems and a shortened lifespan.

EB with 3.73 gears will roll out. Long lasting for who? The 3rd owner perhaps, I have yet to meet someone that holds onto a vehicle long enough to really reap the benefits. The people that really need a truck for tow will buy a 2500/250 diesel. IMO gas savings is the entry argument and it has to beat the V8's and the EcoBoost to be a real winner. Looks Dodge and Ford are easily even in that area. I've wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel since the first launch a few years back, if this is the motor I'll take a look.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
News: Ram 1500 Diesel finally official

There's a link with a little more information. Hopefully like some of you said, this new diesel half ton will help RAM achieve more percentage in it's segment with the lawn businesses, and contractors. I'm concerned about price point though. The RAM is an EXCELLENT truck, but Dodge has almost always been outta the price point game.. Expensive trucks.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You won't get 16 pulling an enclosed trailer. Too much drag. Maybe 12 or 13. Maybe. Don't forget DEF fluid!

Any gasser out there would have made it to 100k. There are tons of beaten and abused 6.0 gas Chevy's around here that have pulled more than you still running like new.

OK,

Stick to your gas, I'm getting the diesel.

I know what I get now, I know what the F150 we also use gets.
V nose trailer isn't that tall in the first place.
You are mighty confident considering you have no clue as to what we are pulling.

I see no issue getting 16.

I'd love to see a 6.0 gas that towed 16K consistantly down the interstate at 75MPH still running like new.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I've been following the rumors on this motor for a while now. It has been in development for quite awhile, and is built to be a beast. The Europeans have been using all sorts of small diesels for decades, they are pretty much THE authority when it comes to high efficiency, small diesels. It's total package weight is equivalent to the Hemi, which is why it works in the GC. Also, the company that has been developing this motor, VM Motori, is half owned by Chrysler/Fiat, and GM. Chances are that this motor, or a similiar one, will be going into GM trucks and SUV's soon as well.
How many folks here have driven and/or worked on the 6.2/6.5 diesels from the '80's that was in almost every Chevy 2500/3500, and the HUMVEE? Those things were dogs, but in the lightweight, base model M998 HUMVEE, got insane mileage. I know this from personal experience in Iraq. We ran 500-600 mile trips daily on one tank of fuel, mainly highway speed. It wasn't the most powerful motor, but it can take epic abuse and keep on running.
When I got my '07 Ram 1500 QC, I almost got the 2500 JUST for the diesel. glad I didn't then, but over the 90K of ownership, I've only averaged 14MPG. I can only imagine the mileage possible from this little diesel turbo V6. Plus the torque! 420 lb-ft in a 1500 will be really nice.
I'm personally looking forward to this new direction for 1/2 ton trucks.

I got 95k miles on my 06 Ram now and I love it. However it will be time to get a new one in the next 2-3 years. If this model/engine is proven I would likely go with that.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
News: Ram 1500 Diesel finally official

There's a link with a little more information. Hopefully like some of you said, this new diesel half ton will help RAM achieve more percentage in it's segment with the lawn businesses, and contractors. I'm concerned about price point though. The RAM is an EXCELLENT truck, but Dodge has almost always been outta the price point game.. Expensive trucks.

Not for nothing, but in my experience its the opposite. The Rams have always been slightly cheaper than the chevys and fords MSRP. And once you go OTD price, Rams are almost always the cheapest. They may say 39K MSRP, but then you get rebates, negotiations...etc and end up getting them for 30k.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I think it's great news that the Ram is going to offer a diesel for the 1/2 ton market.

However Ford already has the right idea with the TT 3.5L Ecoboost

This.

I haven't had trouble pulling anything I've tried in my 150. I've had diesels because I thought I needed lots of towing capability. All I ever did was hop 'em up so they would go fast. That, by the way, is a fun deal. :beer:

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
Not for nothing, but in my experience its the opposite. The Rams have always been slightly cheaper than the chevys and fords MSRP. And once you go OTD price, Rams are almost always the cheapest. They may say 39K MSRP, but then you get rebates, negotiations...etc and end up getting them for 30k.

There's a very good reason for that...

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I will take the diesel, in my cousins sprinter we used to hull all kinds of junk and it had great acceleration and I felt like we never filled up. Gas would have killed us.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Chevy made a 1/2 ton diesel in the 90s. They discontinued it due to the chassis not being strong enough.

Dad had one and they replaced the frame under warranty due to it being twisted.

GM did it a few times in the 80's too. In the mid 90's Ford said it had serious plans to put a 7.3 in the F-150 but it was scrapped because it made the truck too expensive and the front end too heavy with the light suspension. After lifting a 7.3 motor one time with a cherry picker, I'll believe it too.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
1. If the chassis is the same I'll take the low end grunt.

2.MPG is relevent when guys are getting 8 while towing and I'm getting 16.
50% more MPG>20% higher fuel cost.
Not to mention MPG when unloaded.
Fuel filter? Mine is not much more than a gas burner and you should be changing that every 10,000 or so anyway. Not that anyone does.

3. could go either way.
I'm ove 100,000 on the cummins when a gas would have most likely not survived this long. towing what my tryck has.

2. your #s are off big time. You are not getting 16mpg towing. Not gonna happen, never gonna happen. Unless you are towing downhill in a tailwind.

3. You're kidding right? There are plenty of gas trucks with +250k miles on them.

The longetivity argument isn't true for modern day diesels. At some point you will have to replace injectors, egr valve, turbo, DPF...etc. None of these components are an issue with gas motors.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I would totally buy a 1/2 ton w/ a deisel engine.

I wonder if the new one Dodge is doing is somehow based off the 4BT Cummins...

Nevermind, read that it will be the same motor as the Jeep GC has....gayz.

I was sure hoping for the Cummins ISF to be in it. Of course I'm not a big fan of V diesels, and I love my I6. :rockon:

Ford is currently producing a 4.4L v8 diesel on the same assembly line as the 6.7. It is being used in the new Range Rovers. Same engine that was originally tested for the F150. They said it would be $8,000 extra and would not sell well.

Who knows if it would even meet emissions. Almost everyone has foreign diesels, but one of the reasons they don't/can't introduce them to the US is that EPA emissions are the strictest in the WORLD.

You could be running a 60mpg turbo diesel car in the US if we had European emissions standards, and they're the 2nd strictest.

Raises hand to get in line for one.

Wish it would be the inline 4 cummins that Nissan is thinking about putting in the Titan.

It is a shame it isn't the ISF. They've been talking about that for something like 8 years though. I wonder when Nissan is going to put up, if at all.

The latest Rumor is that their NV2500 vans are getting the ISF overseas, which share the frame with the Titan, so who knows.

Personally I think it's a tough sell. It's a very small niche market. With emissions the cost incentive isn't there as much. You've got the same chassis, but the engine and emissions equipment will cost more, then the emissions equipment ruins your gas milage, and you lose your big edge. Not to mention people generally ditch their 1/2 tons by 100k mi, so you lose another diesel advantage.

Then there's the matter of power. It' isn't substantially above what the gassers can do. And the guys that do need the grunt are more likely to get a big boy diesel anyway.

In the end it's a very small niche market of small businesses that may need a little more torque, and some suburbanites/rural folks who would want the bragging rights of a diesel.

Then again if anyone can pull it off, it's Dodge, just based on pricing. They've got the cheapest truck to begin with so the engine cost penalty isn't the worst, and since they're owned by Fiat, the engine shouldn't be too expensive for them.
I think those are exactly the reasons Nissan hadn't made the plunge with a ISF powered Titan. As is, a comparably equipped Titan 1/2 ton cost about the same as the 3/4 ton Dodge diesel I bought, so that is one tough sell.

One concern I'd have about the engine, aside from the fact I hate working on V-diesels under the hood, would be getting parts/service for a Fiat diesel. Unless they really sell the crap out of these things, it may be tough to get Italian parts and anyone who knows anything about them. My neighbor has a Liberty CRD and he said it was a nightmare. Even getting half-competent diesel techs for the 6.7 at the dealership is tough. Their saving grace is that most diesel shops already know the 6.7 inside and out from their cousins in trucks, buses, etc...

Either way, I'm still glad I got my Ram 2500 CTD. Only thing I could ask for is a stronger gearbox. Otherwise she isn't too bad on fuel, and pulls like a team of mules.

Users who are viewing this thread