RAM TRX debut

F8l Vnm

Established Member
That's all this crowd really cares about is the sound lol

Problem is the Raptor sounds horrible, awful.. Like a louder Tacoma. It’s embarrassing to me anyway. I could care less about the engine because the Eco is a stout torquey motor. It’s the damn sound from the exhaust that’s cringe worthy. Everything else about The Raptor I love

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that 90% of people with a raptor never go off-roading or need the massive off-road capabilities. Most are driven on the highway and around town to and from work. Count me in if the ram sounds badass and has 700hp with a warranty. Sound, looks, interior are what most buyers care about. My brother has a new raptor, and while it is an amazing truck, it’s never been anywhere my roush blown f150 has been. Lol. While I much prefer the looks of his, I much prefer the power and sound of mine.
Preach!!!!
You got it brother.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The Ecoboost is a great truck motor. It tows fantastic. I pulled 12k lbs of wet top soil up a 7% hill from a dead stop and she walked it right up there. It accelerates fine, and I avg 19+ mpg in the heaviest F150 you can have.
Having said that, it does sound like shit if you put an exhaust on it.
I have more of a problem with Ford Performance being so damn lazy and not putting updated front ends on their cars.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that 90% of people with a raptor never go off-roading or need the massive off-road capabilities. Most are driven on the highway and around town to and from work.

I concur, and have been saying the same thing for years.
Its a friggin' Baja truck.
Bring back the L.

My94GT

Established Member
If it doesn't surpass the Raptor in every measurable category and capabilities it's a fail imo . They have had plenty of time to do their homework

it’ll likely have its trade offs but I bet it’ll be a very capable truck and as far as the buyers who just want a street truck it’ll be a home run.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
it’ll likely have its trade offs but I bet it’ll be a very capable truck and as far as the buyers who just want a street truck it’ll be a home run.
Bingo.
Just like the previous Ram Runner.

As I recall the RR was better off road then a Gen1, but it cost more (dealer install kit) and it's on road manners where lacking.

The Ram does have the advantage of already having a nicer interior and superior suspension setup with Coils in the rear.

So the question is, what's the balance.

Will they give up highway manners? Will it have to much roll? Do they give up payload and towing? Or do they embrace the Urban cowboy and increase the work ability and comfort but give up some desert performance? Do they focus on all out Pre-Running or also include trails and rocks in their design.

At the end of the day the a Raptor is "just" a F150 with 35's, Fox By-pass and a mid-travel kit. It doesn't come remotely close to an actual Pre-Runner, buts it's factory package looks cool and the coilovers ride nice on and off the road.

csc427

Established Member
The Ecoboost is a great truck motor. It tows fantastic. I pulled 12k lbs of wet top soil up a 7% hill from a dead stop and she walked it right up there. It accelerates fine, and I avg 19+ mpg in the heaviest F150 you can have.
Having said that, it does sound like shit if you put an exhaust on it.
I have more of a problem with Ford Performance being so damn lazy and not putting updated front ends on their cars.
Yeah, no denying it’s a great motor for sure. Very capable. But in top ford performance trim its a lacking package. My brothers raptor isn’t anywhere close in acceleration to my 19 roush blown truck. It won’t even be on the same planet as far acceleration to a hellcat ram/TRX or whatever it is. Lol. Hopefully this pushes ford to a forced induction v8 raptor to compete. One that’s competitively priced to the trx.

My94GT

Established Member
I also saw a survey on car and drivers page, 84% of people who answered said out of the two they would prefer the TRX to the raptor. Interesting to see since all we really know is it’s a ram with a hellcat motor. It should come as no surprise Ram knows what the core of their buyers want.

credit to the raptor for blazing this trail and I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s still the more capable off road truck.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

They should of made another SRT-10, and had a street orientated Ram 1500 along with the TRX.

Just funny to see guys, some current Raptor owners and the future TRX, talking about going fast on the street with 35" offroad tires and a suspension set up for offroad performance.

Most 35" tires are in the mid to high 60lb per tire range. Then brands like Toyo/Nitto go into the 70lb range.

It's cheaper to buy a 5.0 F150 and a whipple than a new decked out Raptor, but most care more about image and what truck look cooler at starbucks.

My94GT

Established Member
Yeah, no denying it’s a great motor for sure. Very capable. But in top ford performance trim its a lacking package. My brothers raptor isn’t anywhere close in acceleration to my 19 roush blown truck. It won’t even be on the same planet as far acceleration to a hellcat ram/TRX or whatever it is. Lol. Hopefully this pushes ford to a forced induction v8 raptor to compete. One that’s competitively priced to the trx.

what would be cool to see is ford revamp the interior at the very least and drop a gt500 motor in the raptor. I won’t hold my breath for that but it sure would be fun to see.

My94GT

Established Member
They should of made another SRT-10, and had a street orientated Ram 1500 along with the TRX.

Just funny to see guys, some current Raptor owners and the future TRX, talking about going fast on the street with 35" offroad tires and a suspension set up for offroad performance.

Most 35" tires are in the mid to high 60lb per tire range. Then brands like Toyo/Nitto go into the 70lb range.

It's cheaper to buy a 5.0 F150 and a whipple than a new decked out Raptor, but most care more about image and what truck look cooler at starbucks.

I agree 100%. Id have loved if the hellcat motor was an option for my Laramie. I do no off-road driving so a more street oriented truck that can still tow and mitigate snow is what I need. Hell I’d be happy if there was a 392 option even. The 5.7 just lacks a bit of power in my opinion, and it’s not worth the money to slap a blower on it only to run 6lbs boost. I also have zero desire to build a motor on a daily driver so a turn key option is important.

blk02edge

Established Member
Bingo.
Just like the previous Ram Runner.

As I recall the RR was better off road then a Gen1, but it cost more (dealer install kit) and it's on road manners where lacking.

The Ram does have the advantage of already having a nicer interior and superior suspension setup with Coils in the rear.

So the question is, what's the balance.

Will they give up highway manners? Will it have to much roll? Do they give up payload and towing? Or do they embrace the Urban cowboy and increase the work ability and comfort but give up some desert performance? Do they focus on all out Pre-Running or also include trails and rocks in their design.

At the end of the day the a Raptor is "just" a F150 with 35's, Fox By-pass and a mid-travel kit. It doesn't come remotely close to an actual Pre-Runner, buts it's factory package looks cool and the coilovers ride nice on and off the road.
Exactly.

I would put money on it being practically identicle to a Raptor but with 700hp. Which is fine, and awesome for the pavement pounders. Still.. a lot of people will think it's a TT and wad them up because that really is too much power for what it's capability will be in the dirt

andymarkv

Established Member
I'm mostly curious how they are going to keep the drivetrain together...?
Trucks with big tires have a lot of rotational weight, so when Billybob is jacking the throttle like an Aussie powerskid champion...somethings gonna give!!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
credit to the raptor for blazing this trail and I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s still the more capable off road truck.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Raptor is a better off road truck.
I have a feeling the TRX will eat the EcoBoom for breakfast, lunch, supper, and the occasional snack in a race. LMFAO

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm mostly curious how they are going to keep the drivetrain together...?
Trucks with big tires have a lot of rotational weight, so when Billybob is jacking the throttle like an Aussie powerskid champion...somethings gonna give!!
Maybe Dodge goes big and uses HD axles, but the pictures show just 5 bolts... Sooooo

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
This is going to be on my radar. If the ride quality is anything like the Raptor, I may be a buyer. Its embarrassing every time I go half throttle or WOT in the Raptor. One of the worst sounds ever.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is going to be on my radar. If the ride quality is anything like the Raptor, I may be a buyer. Its embarrassing every time I go half throttle or WOT in the Raptor. One of the worst sounds ever.

Is Jake slowly transitioning to an exclusive Mopar guy?
Demon
Trackhawk
...TRX?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Waiting on the reveal to decide between the TRX and a Power Wagon. The wife is completely over her Land Cruiser. She wants my Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread