Ran a pullied Cobra (02 Z28)

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
I don't know much about the terminator world yet, but I'm pretty sure most just run a upper pulley. Some lower, but thats with an upper as well.

Go get that tranny fixed and run him down. :beer:

Last edited:

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
Good death. I would say he had a 2.80 or 2.76 upper only which adds about 4 pounds of boost. My 2.80 pushes it up to about 12 pounds on my gauge. That or he had a 4 pound lower pulley.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Maybe he was just talking about general boost increases. I've seen a couple of vids of cars with lower only's. I think its to try to be a sleeper. Also heard the lowers give you more tq as well.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
People just do lower pulleys. This way they can run the stock upper and the pulley cover (usually a fancy one) without adding an idler.

A 4lb lower of the stock upper would be close the equivalent of a 2.93 upper as I was 12.X lbs with mine.

Sounds like you had fun and good runs.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thanks for the info, guys. Always lookin to learn.

And svTx01, I've got a mild heads and cam setup with a built/heavy drivetrain. LS6 heads, 224/228 cam, bolt-ons, MN12 6-speed, 3.5" driveshaft, 12-bolt with 4.10s. The car is setup to run from a dig so third gear rolls aren't exactly my strong spot, but it does alright.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
another HUGE benefit of running a lower, with a LARGER upper, is more belt wrap. You don't see ALOT of belt slip, but by running a larger bottom, and normal size/larger up top, you get more surface area on the pulley.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Good run.

A 2.76 Pulley will put a cobra to about 14 PSI. 12 is a bit low from a 2.80 Pulley.

Also, do you trap 117 as your PB trap? I only ask because 8/10 Cobras with good drivers will trap very close to 120 if not higher, and that should be good for more than a 1/2 car.

When do you plan on getting your transmission fixed?

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
good run, im guessing he was talking about the boost increase he got, so more then likely a 2.76 upper, intake, exhauat and a tune.

good run thou. Fix your car and go again.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Sounds like a 2.93 car with cb and tune. Pretty mild for a Cobra.
Well then it makes sense that it was a good matchup because my setup is about as mild as you can possibly get for a H/C LS1.
Good run.

A 2.76 Pulley will put a cobra to about 14 PSI. 12 is a bit low from a 2.80 Pulley.

Also, do you trap 117 as your PB trap? I only ask because 8/10 Cobras with good drivers will trap very close to 120 if not higher, and that should be good for more than a 1/2 car.

When do you plan on getting your transmission fixed?
Thanks, man. It traps 117 at LVD but it was 85-90 degrees and humid all day. We won't know until later this year possibly, but down at Atco or Etown on a cooler day I wouldn't be too surprised to see it hit a 120. 118-119 all day I'd think. LVD kind of sucks and the weather wasn't exactly helping out. That said, it's a very mild setup and full weight, so it's not exactly a shining star in the H/C LSX world. :lol1:

res0n0xg

Established Member
lowers do help with low end torque, you can see my numbers as a good example....there is a guy on here with just a 6lb lower on i'm pretty sure, and his car runs around 120mph through the 1/4

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Well then it makes sense that it was a good matchup because my setup is about as mild as you can possibly get for a H/C LS1.

Thanks, man. It traps 117 at LVD but it was 85-90 degrees and humid all day. We won't know until later this year possibly, but down at Atco or Etown on a cooler day I wouldn't be too surprised to see it hit a 120. 118-119 all day I'd think. LVD kind of sucks and the weather wasn't exactly helping out. That said, it's a very mild setup and full weight, so it's not exactly a shining star in the H/C LSX world. :lol1:

Still pretty impressive in that type of condition. I see you trapping at least 120 in cool weather and good prep. :beer:

lowers do help with low end torque, you can see my numbers as a good example....there is a guy on here with just a 6lb lower on i'm pretty sure, and his car runs around 120mph through the 1/4

There are tons of Upper only guys trapping 120+ not making nearly as much TQ or HP as you are claiming. No offense, or no Disrespect. I am just pointing something out man. :-D

16kOrBust

Established Member

Yeah, depending on driver and track/weather, I've seen pullied Cobras trapping all over the place, anywhere from mid 11X to mid 12X in basically full weight cars. Not to mention different sized pullies, exhaust setups, and tunes can all make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread