Ran the 1/4....quite disapponted

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
So last night I took the L to the local drag strip (Bradenton Motor Speedway)
It was approximately 88 degrees with very high humidity. I launched twice from idle and twice from 1k rpm with the same outcome, I had very good traction (no spinning at all)
Here is what my best time slip looks like:
R/T .008
60' 2.144
330 6.001
1/8 9.101
@ 79mph
1000 11.796
1/4 14.080
@97.87

My truck: 2000 Lightning
My mods are: 6lb lower, Diablo Revolution Chip(with dyno-tune by coastal dyno), AirRaid c/a/i, Bassani headers, JDM Bullet cat-back ex., NGK TR6's, EGR block-off, PVC to seperate filters mod, "Boost-kill by pass" mod, Royal Purple oil, and brand new Hankook tires.

What gives? aren't the lightnings supposed to run 13.9 seconds in the 1/4stock? :shrug: I am so frustrated I just want to throw my wet zex kit on against my tuners advice (he said the stock rods are too weak)!
Any helpful feedback would be appreciated

LtnRyder

03 636 as well
Established Member
Those projected 1/4 #'s seem really damn high! Go to a diff track or to a 1/4 and see what happens. Thats really all you can do, best to get a few diff #'s down b4 tryin to tinker w/ anything else.

Bootie

Established Member
ooo there's something very wrong with those numbers. You should be trapping 106-108mph. Has it been tuned or been on the dyno recently cause somethings up?

rlearp

Established Member
Intercooler pump working? Hell, 13.1 flat stock I could pull in some reasonably cool air on and 04. You have something up.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
There is seriously something wrong. I ran 8.9@79 box stock, with 300 miles on the truck. With the mods in my sig, minus the DRs and Xcal2, i ran a [email protected], with some weight reduction and the canned predator tune on F1s. It was an 8.4 in the 1/8th with a 1.9 60' time.

Last edited:

rem177

Established Member
Yeah somethin is up, i was running alot faster on my 4lb'er.....377whp is meh, especially for a 6lb'er...was it REAL hot/humid? I'd work on that tune..maybe get something from ATS or JLP. 2.1 sixty foot and no wheel spin? Something is fishy.

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
rem177 said:
Yeah somethin is up, i was running alot faster on my 4lb'er.....377whp is meh, especially for a 6lb'er...was it REAL hot/humid? I'd work on that tune..maybe get something from ATS or JLP. 2.1 sixty foot and no wheel spin? Something is fishy.
That's what I was thinkin, and it was 88* with about 90-100% humidity.
I'm gonna either port the m90 eaton that is on it or buy a m112 (01-04 L) and port that. What about spray? If these stock blocks are said to be safe up to 450hp, can't I just SAFELY spray a 65 wet shot as long as I pull some timing advance out so that it doesn't detonate.....
I'm just really unsatisfied with 14 second 1/4 mile passes AND a fuel consumption of 11mpg as my d.d.

*Thanks for all of your replies* -Joshua

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
All Lightnings have M112's.

Something is wrong. Might be in your tune. You definitelyl need some stickier tires and some traction bars though. I was going to blame it all on traction, but your mph is way off too. With only a MAC CAI I ran 13.55@101 in 100* weather when my truck was new. With mods similar to what you have now, I was running 12.70's. Get that tune checked!

Chi3f

Established Member
you said you didn't spin at all but you still had 2.1 60'. Get on it harder. not your only problem but one of them. mph should be higher like previously said

bmfgsxr

Established Member
im with everyone else as well man.. the mph is really low for your mods. if you could nail a 1.8 or 1.9 60 you would get your times down to around 13.6 or 13.7, but that is still slow for your mods, and hp. something isnt right. maybe the shift points in your tune are screwy or possibly problems with the tranny or something along those lines.

rem177

Established Member
Im Blown said:
That's what I was thinkin, and it was 88* with about 90-100% humidity.
I'm gonna either port the m90 eaton that is on it or buy a m112 (01-04 L) and port that. What about spray? If these stock blocks are said to be safe up to 450hp, can't I just SAFELY spray a 65 wet shot as long as I pull some timing advance out so that it doesn't detonate.....
I'm just really unsatisfied with 14 second 1/4 mile passes AND a fuel consumption of 11mpg as my d.d.

*Thanks for all of your replies* -Joshua

Yes, I would definitley be unsatisfied as well. Somethin is up with the tune.....when you leave from an idle to you bury it right away or ease into it? I had a similar problem with my tune...first time i took it to the track i was running 13.2's @ 101 with a 4lb and few other things. :dw:
Now I got a 6lb'er goin on and im in the process of getting an ATS tune.

As far as spray? 6lb + 65 shot = blown motor, i guarantee it...some think its risky enough just running the 6'er. If you really want to throw nitrous at it...trade your 6lb for a 2lb pulley and get a tune and go with a 75-100 shot. Someone on the boards here has a similar combo and is running low 11's with a few other things.

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Anybody think the track timer could could be way off? :shrug: What was other cars and trucks running? I remember reading a post awhile back where a poster said they were at a track and Gixxer 1k's were running 17's in the 1/4. The track timer in that case was malfunctioning.

URBAN COWBOY

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
SnipeJDM said:
rem177 said:
Yeah somethin is up, i was running alot faster on my 4lb'er.....377whp is meh, especially for a 6lb'er...was it REAL hot/humid?
It was on a Mustang Dyno so he's right arond 400 w/ the 6'er
Does the Mustang Dyno read low or something?
Everyone else also said that their times seemed slower but I ran a 14-14.1 second 1/4 mile five times in a row, so I thought I eliminated any clocking error.
I left a few times from idle and just floored it, then I tried from a 1k rpm launch, but I never had any traction isuues..it hooked up very well

Thanks again for your help. -Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Skrapmetal said:
Are you running the stock MAF?
yeah, I think it is stock...but my truck had a c/a/i on it when i bought it, how do i tell if it's stock or larger (any other way other than taking it off and meaduring inside diameter)?

I've got a video of my launch.. trying to figure out how to post it for your viewing pleasure : )

Last edited:

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
go with what is stated above, stickier tires, check your tune and shift points, etc

not to get off topic but im pickin up a 500rwhp 455ft lbs of T 03 cobra next weekend and eventually gonna race a buddy's lightin, 01 or 02 i think. not sure his mods but he said he's around 450 give or take hp.. and he sayin he wanna race me for money, what do you guys think??

bmfgsxr

Established Member
ragu1585 said:
go with what is stated above, stickier tires, check your tune and shift points, etc

not to get off topic but im pickin up a 500rwhp 455ft lbs of T 03 cobra next weekend and eventually gonna race a buddy's lightin, 01 or 02 i think. not sure his mods but he said he's around 450 give or take hp.. and he sayin he wanna race me for money, what do you guys think??

as much as id like to say the L would win, its all comes down to power to weight ratio. chances are your gonna hurt him in that cobra (if you can drive). if you cant he has a chance.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Im Blown said:
yeah, I think it is stock...but my truck had a c/a/i on it when i bought it, how do i tell if it's stock or larger (any other way other than taking it off and meaduring inside diameter)?

I've got a video of my launch.. trying to figure out how to post it for your viewing pleasure : )

Someone else here might be able the question about being able to tell without measuring better than I could.

I can't say for sure if the stock MAF would be the cause of your problems, but it certainly can't be helping. With that 6#er on there, I'd upgrade to a 90mm and get a new tune.

Users who are viewing this thread