Random misfire P0316 + P0303 + P0305

Fopar

Established Member
Let me preface this by saying I give this post a 2% chance of finding a solution but maybe it'll be useful for people in the future.

So over the winter it seems my car has developed a propensity to throw misfire codes at high RPM part throttle. Particularly cylinders 3 and 5, and also random misfire (0316). This happens pretty much only when I downshift and cruise at high RPM (4500+) while I go through windy roads, under WOT it doesn't throw codes.

So the only recent thing that might cause this is over the winter I replaced some PS lines and I had to re-route my Alt cable, during routing I accidentally twisted the main power stud on the engine bay fuse box (common problem), it only twisted about 45 degrees so I moved it back and epoxied the plastic case back together. Might be possible that the bus bar maybe cracked and has a small area (and thus less current carrying capability)... Everything else seems to work fine though.

Towards the end of last summer I also replaced my crank position sensor from a different issue, I used a genuine motorcraft CPS tho... and as far as I know there's no crank sensor learn on these vehicles... I also did a comp test and everything was good at the time, I have no reason to suspect mechanical problems, the car cranks normal, has normal power, and normal idle vacuum.

What I've done so far:

Checked all plugs and re-gapped, been .022 up to .025 no difference. Swapped plugs 3 and 5 with adjacent cylinders, swapped in my genuine ford coils on those cylinders too with no avail.

Next step is to put all the original coils back in, maybe measure voltage at the coils. After that maybe swap old CPS back in, and inspect fuse box...

Fopar

Established Member
I put the rest of the OEM coils back in, checked the crank sensor connector, blew it out with some electrical cleaner and compressed air, made some adjustments to the high rpm light throttle A/F targets in the cal... took it for a hard drive and it was good... for a while... threw more misfires, this time cyls 3, 4 and 7... definitely seems more robust as it took quite some time (you can see I was beating on it for a good 30 mins) but obviously not fixed... might just turn off the misfire codes and say **** it...

Attachments

• misfire.png
    misfire.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Fopar

Established Member
Hmm interesting, not sure if these are datalogging anomalies, ECU issues or my TMAP is going bad... don't think this would cause the misfire though.

Attachments

• map glitch.JPG
    map glitch.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 36

Roush6018

Established Member
" I also did a comp test and everything was good at the time, I have no reason to suspect mechanical problems, the car cranks normal, has normal power, and normal idle vacuum."

but how was the engine idle quality when it is at operating temps? does it idle smooth or does the engine shake when its idle?

of course the best way to fix the problem the car has is to correctly diagnose it first before the repairs are performed.

you have verified the codes by clearing them and driving the car and the same codes returned.

figure out what the problem cylinders have in common. this is the best time to do a compression test and record the results. i had a chrysler V6 with 145-150psi on all except 1 had 110psi and this was causing the random misfire code to set.

when diagnosing a misfire condition always check (verify you have ) good compression in all 8 cylinders , when warmed up, before you check the spark and fuel systems.

if you find 1 with low compression you can send a bore-o-scope in to check the top of the piston and the condition of the cylinder bore.

Fopar

Established Member
Idles fine... idle vacuum is fine...doesn't throw codes at idle or WOT only at high rpm light load. Eventually I'll do a comp test but like I said I did one last summer. Tune is on the fat side so doubtful anything is hurt.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
P0316 is not for random misfire, thats p0300.. 316 is for a miss in the first 1000 revolutions. See that a lot when coolant enters combustion chamber after a hot soak and a cool down. Not saying that's it, it's just a possibility. Other times I have seen p0316 caused by a weak coil.

Users who are viewing this thread