Random Thought

devildog1679

Established Member
So I have winter tires which are OD of 28” which is 1” more than factory. Thus throwing off my speedo. I’m assuming it’s also recording less miles on my odometer correct? Is there anything else that this could be affecting?

Now to my random thought. I know I can flash the ECU with the correct revolutions per mile so I can get back to a corrected speedo and ODO. Now what keeps some scrupulous person from buying a car and flashing it with a low revolutions per mile in order to record less overall mileage.

devildog1679

Established Member
Nothing, seems like a bit of work to just change mileage though.

No work at all. Just need a SCT and 10 min of your time. By changing mileage you can ask for more $$ when selling due to lower miles. Am I missing something?

Angry50

Established Member
i dont think it impacts it enough if you figure a 5% error, a 100k mile car would really have 105k miles? unless im thinking about it wrong

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unless you program in the computer that it has a 100" tire...

Nonetheless, it'd be fraudulent.

Angry50

Established Member
That's what I'm saying. There is no way to prove it either. Seem's easier to defraud than back in the old days.

i doubt its as easy as you think. im sure you can put in certain sizes i dont think you can input a tire size big enough to make a significant difference.

_Snake_

Established Member
The difference in mileage will be negligible because the tires are so close in size. If you could enter a crazy tire size in the SCT, wouldn't tuning the car be a fiasco? Thinking about shift points and vehicle speed / engine rpms compared to tire revolutions.

devildog1679

Established Member
I don't think tire revolutions are used in tuning. RPM is but that's not calculated off tire revolutions.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Not worth it and totally dishonest. Just think the other way around if you were the one buying the car that seems to have low mileage. A lot of people did the same thing when the odometers were mechanical.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I don't think tire revolutions are used in tuning. RPM is but that's not calculated off tire revolutions.

Tire size / revolution was definitely something my tuner took into consideration for my truck. I dunno whats changed in the tuning world since my last revision though.

Users who are viewing this thread