Raptor on Top Gear USA

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Just caught the end of the latest Top Gear USA episode and they ran a Hennessy VelociRaptor 600 (supercharged) around the test track. I couldn't believe how hard they wrung it out and it actually managed a 1:39. Related cars are the Lancer Evo X running a 1:29 and the Mercedes SLS going 1:26. I think the Lamborghinis at the top of the list posted low 1:20's. Another test proving that Ford built one hell of a truck. :rockon:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Well yeah, I figured they didn't really do much except make it faster, so it still shows how amazing the handling is, even on a road course which it is totally not designed for. I couldn't believe how fast the Stig was going around those corners.

Dusten

Established Member
The top cars on the power board run high 1:1x's now, but a 1:39 isnt terrible. I have all the episodes with me on deployment, might have to watch them to see what compares.

steeltoe

Established Member
Well yeah, I figured they didn't really do much except make it faster, so it still shows how amazing the handling is, even on a road course which it is totally not designed for. I couldn't believe how fast the Stig was going around those corners.
I just got done watching it and its right on the edge on out of control. The suspension and brakes were definitely given a work out.
The top cars on the power board run high 1:1x's now, but a 1:39 isnt terrible. I have all the episodes with me on deployment, might have to watch them to see what compares.
The Evo X was 10 secs faster. I think if the Raptor can post times similar to the STi and EVO then Ford has out done themselves.

Tanner is an idiot for manually shifting the Raptor. Going from D which could be 6th gear to 3 is not healthy for the transmission.

Dusten

Established Member
i havent watched any top gear usa, so im a bit lost on what you mean. and yes, it is impressive, what i meant was, i wanted to see what cars are closer to identical.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Raptor was fun to watch, but I think that segments showed even more of the show's weaknesses. It's sad how much potential this show has, but is not even close to achieving.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I just watched the show.... The raptor sure is impressive.... I would buy one if I has 42k layin around. I think the henessy version is cool.... But all they really did was added intake and exhaust and custom tune... Anyone could do that and be under 7k.

BTW viper ACR has the quickest lap time 1:22

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Just watched the show on DVR...

How about the halo jumper spirling down at the very end.. wow

The raptor was cool too lol . Oh , and Kid Rock expressing his love for the prius... right on \m/

Hyperstang

Iron Fist Lead Foot
Established Member
I watched it and I was really digging the sound of it when Tanner was driving through town. But when I found out that it was built Hennessey I got a little unhappy due to the fact.

Last edited:

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Sounds like a good episode... anyone gonna put this up for us internetional guys to watch?

Dusten

Established Member
I just watched the show.... The raptor sure is impressive.... I would buy one if I has 42k layin around. I think the henessy version is cool.... But all they really did was added intake and exhaust and custom tune... Anyone could do that and be under 7k.

BTW viper ACR has the quickest lap time 1:22

Is that top gear usa's time, because the original top gear has about 10 cars faster than that. the top car was set last season by the Bugatti at 1:16

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes, that's just TG US's fastest time. I like TG UK's track much better.

I've been fighting the urge to watch the show again and write out all my issues with that segment. I'm still hoping this show gets better. I think it's really going to need some host changes if it's going to survive. Mike Rowe might not be known as a car guy, but he's on every other show made by Discovery, perhaps he could do better.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I wish they would have shown more details of the truck's engine and raptor-specific features. Yea, it showed him flipping 3 switches to turn it into some competition mode or something, but he didn't even explain that. I don't think I even saw an underhood shot.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yes, that's just TG US's fastest time. I like TG UK's track much better.

I've been fighting the urge to watch the show again and write out all my issues with that segment. I'm still hoping this show gets better. I think it's really going to need some host changes if it's going to survive. Mike Rowe might not be known as a car guy, but he's on every other show made by Discovery, perhaps he could do better.

It would be cool if they could get Jay Leno on for some guest hosting. He's got that personality that a TV show like this calls for, with the added super bonus of him being a crazy car guy.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wish they would have shown more details of the truck's engine and raptor-specific features. Yea, it showed him flipping 3 switches to turn it into some competition mode or something, but he didn't even explain that. I don't think I even saw an underhood shot.

That's one of my complaints about this show in general. Give us some details.

It would be cool if they could get Jay Leno on for some guest hosting. He's got that personality that a TV show like this calls for, with the added super bonus of him being a crazy car guy.

There's plenty of other people I'd like to see on that show besides the current hosts.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yeah, that was some pretty sweet footage. The dude hugging the truck at the end...seriously?

I'm guessing the only reason they picked the Hennessy version of the truck was because of the louder exhaust. And the switch he flipped was to open an electric cutout I'm guessing, because it just got louder.

wjk

Established Member
Pretty sweet video. The Halo Parachuter was badass!

Users who are viewing this thread