rated vs. actual hp

Zalec

Established Member
there was a thread on OT about the rated horsepower being 475hp but its actually about 575hp, is this true?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I don't know anything about the power of the GT500, but it would seem almost fraudulent to under rate a motor by 100hp.

Grind

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I don't know anything about the power of the GT500, but it would seem almost fraudulent to under rate a motor by 100hp.

Very true, but not unheard of. Those couple of limited-production Mopar cars in the later '60s were rumored to be well over 600hp but were listed well below that (425hp I think).

They were running mid-10's in stock trim.

Last edited:

Zalec

Established Member
it seems the be the trend to keep auto insurance down. 2 cars taht come to mind off the bat are the cobalt ss super charged (rated at 205 really its around 235-240ish) and the saturn ion redline.

underratting i dont think its a crime but overrating is.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Grind said:
Very true, but not unheard of. Those couple of limited-production Mopar cars in the later '60s were rumored to be well over 600hp but were listed well below that (425hp I think).

They were running mid-10's in stock trim.

What car from the 60's was running 10's in stock trim! :idea:
I don't remember anything even close.

Tim

Grind

Established Member
Here's an article I found...

http://budgetperformance.com/articles/hemidart/

"As with every Hemi intended as a production car, tentitive output figures were set at 425 hp @ 5000 rpm and 490 ft lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm. But as anyone knows, this was grossly underrated, moreso with the competition-style Hemi in the Super Stock Dart. Actual output was closer to 600 hp, especially when most racers uncorked the headers when they got to the track."

"Despite the strict disclaimer concerning the '68 Hemi Dart, it was too much of a deal for true racers to pass up. With 600 hp (about 480 at the wheels) in a car weighing in at 2150 pounds without the driver, this incredible monster tore up the quarter mile in the mid-low 10s @ 130-135 mph, with minor tuning. The sound of the majestic elephant breathing through open headers was a deafening song unlike any other--you cannot truly comprehend the sound of an uncorked Competition Hemi until you hear it."

SlowSVT

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:

Tim

He was referring to the 68 Hemi dart and Barracuda which competed in the NHRA AA and AB superstock drag racing. They were built by Hurst (50 of each) and could hardly be considered "factory stock". The advertised HP levels of those cars is merely a formality.

There would be serious liability issues if the manufacturers grossly under rated the engine output. There is soo much speculation on this site regarding HP figures it will make your head spin (do a search). Ford rates the GT500 at 475 FWHP which will likely be within 25-50 hp of the actual output. Factor 15% driveline loss and you have a ball park RWHP figure. Better yet, wait until they actually get one on a chassis dyno

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:

Tim

www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

1968 Dodge Hemi Dart SS & 1968 Plymouth 'Cuda SS both in stock form run 10.5 1/4 mile @ 130 mph. Fastest production cars ever ( in North Amercia ). 425 hp at the wheels. They must have been pretty light.

03 Cobra # 52. Not bad. :thumbsup:

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
Is there a formula ? Take the 03 Cobra at 424 fly wheel HP using the 4.6L Eaton SC and compare that to the 07 Shelby with the 5.4L Eaton SC. Can this be done to get a ballpark HP figure? Sounds like 475-490 is about right. ( FWHP ).

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
WhiteT3 said:
www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

1968 Dodge Hemi Dart SS & 1968 Plymouth 'Cuda SS both in stock form run 10.5 1/4 mile @ 130 mph. Fastest production cars ever ( in North Amercia ). 425 hp at the wheels. They must have been pretty light.

03 Cobra # 52. Not bad. :thumbsup:

That page is garbage. 03 Cobra @ 12.8? :nonono: S7 at 11.3? :lol: FFS when my Cobra was stock I ran a 13.7, yet I don't even see a 96 Cobra listed, yet an 01 Cobra is listed at 13.8? :shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Zalec said:
there was a thread on OT about the rated horsepower being 475hp but its actually about 575hp, is this true?

No.
Not even if it came with the Ford GT twin screw would that be correct.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
All in good time. Info is starting to flow now, and it will not be long until true numbers are published.

Almo

Established Member
chuckstang said:
The engine I bet you all the money in my bank will make 500 flywheel hp
mark my words

Although I think you overact with this so called one opinion against the other when comparing the GT500 with other models, I would agree with you on your number (500BHP)... That would put a manual around 440 to the wheels in stock form and I would think this would be about right.

Just me though...

Users who are viewing this thread