re:ideas on getting 500 hp na

BLKstang22

Established Member
I have 99 cobra with 5.4l swap ported polished 99 heads 5.4 modular block and 5.4 nav crank stage 3 crower cams 42lbs injectors svt focus fuel pump electric water pump last owner said it dynoed at 430rwp and 402torque what else can i to do to make it a 500hp na 5.4 if possible

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
What kind of intake are you using?

An intake with shorter runners will allow you to make more peak power

A set of 03/04 or GT heads will yield more power.

What RPM was it being spun to when it made 430? One of the biggest things to make big power with these small motors is high RPMs...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Nazman's Modular Performance Built N/A motor put down 539RW, copy that combo but getting the intake he used won't be a breeze or cheap!

gmsux

Established Member
500 is doable. Heads, Intake, Cams. that's where the power lies. You should dyno the car now to see what it is doing and when as well as what the A/F is.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The intake and exhaust are probably holding your engine back the most. What kind of intake? Depending on what you have you might want to consider the Australian Boss 290 intake or a sullivan. I will also second the notion of FGT heads. The FGT heads teamed with a sullivan intake and a free flowing exhaust system should be able to make 500rwhp.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WOW! You sneaky N/A guys have been creeping up there with the power in a big way!

Are you guys all converted to E85? How are you keeping detonation at bay with 12 to one compression?

Lot's of the Terminator guy's are floating around 500RWHP if they are ported, and many don't really feel the need to further. There are always exceptions of course

I find it to be a very fun and manageable power level that lives.

Keep rocking guys that's very impressive.

BLKstang22

Established Member
Intake is a 99 cobra with a 4.6 to 5.4 spacer i have no dyno numbers yet and no air flow number i brought the car form Arizona not knowing with it has i just have parts list. im waiting for it to pick up at work so i can dyno it.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Intake is a 99 cobra with a 4.6 to 5.4 spacer i have no dyno numbers yet and no air flow number i brought the car form Arizona not knowing with it has i just have parts list. im waiting for it to pick up at work so i can dyno it.

Once you get the car strap it to a dyno so you can get a baseline, then post it up :thumbsup:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member

I would get it dyno'd so you know where your at. 430 at the wheels seems very unlikely with that intake unless it has been heavily modified and the runners shortened.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Your intake choking the motor. The Sully isn't designed for C heads, but you could massage the ports a bit and make it work. The Boss intake is and would work well.

BLKstang22

Established Member
car dynoed at 375 rwhp and 412 torque safe tune im happy but Wnt more GOING TO CHECK THE COMPRESSION THIS WEEKEND hoping low for a tubro or kennebell

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Swap the intake. That Cobra intake is choking your motor. I don't think KB makes a kit for 5.4s, just a blower for Shelbys and GTs. I doubt you will find an off the shelf turbo either. You will need to custom fab that. Either find an Ausie Boss intake or get a Sullivan. Niether is cheap. The Sully looks cheap until you buy all the fuel hoses, -AN connectors, fuel rails, TB adapter, carb spacer, ect. But, it would be cheaper than a custom turbo and you would probably want to do that for the turbo anyway. That Cobra intake was not meant for a 5.4.

Users who are viewing this thread