Ready to buy or build shortblock ADVISE NEEDED

03CobraRed

Established Member
The blow by is getting worse by the day. Its time to drop a shortblock in the car or build what I have.

Help me out with my new setup please.

Should I buy a completed shortblock? Where would you buy it from, I want to stay with the aluminum block.

Should I have mine machined and built? What parts are needed besides pistons, rods, rings?

I am just trying to get as detailed of a list as possible before I really start shopping.

Also FYI, the car will be street driven DAILY when its nice out, I already have an S-Trim on it and my goal eventually will be to make around 600 at the wheels a little down the road. For now I want to keep my current fuel set up and everything but build the bottom end so its reliable right now and ready for what I want to throw at it in the future.

Also, I was always scared to do this on previous cars because of the cam setup, do you still need to degree in the stock cams when putting them back in?

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
I went through Modular Performance for all my parts. I went with an Iron Modular Boss 302 block, Diamond Pistons (ran Mahle before both are great), Oliver forged I-beam rods, stock crank etc. I am running 10.3:1 compression with a Procharger D1 pullied for 20psi (seeing right at 17psi). I built and balanced the assembly myself, and installed everything else. I can't say much about degreeing the stock cams, I am running the Comp Stage III supercharger cams, and I degreed them during install.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
Its really a hit and miss.

*IN MY OPINION:

Do you have an existing relationship with a reputeable builder you trust? if so, work with your builder to build your existing engine. If you dont already have a relationship with a builder, take a look at a assembled shortblock. As JumperJack and others have recently found out, DO NOT trust the worksmanship on a assembled shortblock - all tolerances/clearances should be verified BEFORE the engine is turned over/fired. Warranties are not worth the paper they are written on IMO when it comes to recovering ACTUAL costs of a failure on an assembled shortblock from a reputeable builder.

I already have a good relationship with a machine shop, and will be building my own engine. Of course I have assembled many 5.* engines over the years and have a good assortment of torque wrenches and quality measuring tools (dial indicators, micrometers, etc etc) to allow me to perform the final pre-assembly tolerance checks and proper assembly.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
I went through Modular Performance for all my parts. I went with an Iron Modular Boss 302 block, Diamond Pistons (ran Mahle before both are great), Oliver forged I-beam rods, stock crank etc. I am running 10.3:1 compression with a Procharger D1 pullied for 20psi (seeing right at 17psi). I built it myself, but had Modular Performance do the prep work on the block, and fit the pistons etc. I balanced the assembly, and installed everything else. I can't say much about degreeing the stock cams, I am running the Comp Stage III supercharger cams, and I degreed them during install.

I assume you have access to a dynamic balancing machine?

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
There were only 2 or 3 builders that I hadn't heard a negative thing about on any boards. Lets be honest, people are NOT shy about getting done wrong in the car forum world. It came down between Modular Performance out of Michigan or Modular Powerhouse out of Atlanta. As was stated above, any yahoo can screw a motor together...I want to know what they are gonna do when my $8,000 motor comes apart on me. For me, the best safe guards were this: buy the best of every part and every insurance piece available. That means $400 Innovator's West harmonic balancer, $100 billet trigger wheel, $300 billet oil pumps, $500 worth of ARP bolts and studs for every connection etc. Have the same people do the machine work, balance work, shortblock, longblock, cylinder heads, install and tune. And most importantly hve they guy doing the work stand behind his work with service like this:

http://modularpowerhouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48014

That's who is doing my work for me. Yes, it's gonna cost $1000 more than it would at some other shops...but, like fine electronics...you get what you pay for.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Sounds like you want to do exactley what I have in my plans. I'll listen in. I'm thinking about getting the internal kit form MMR's street mod 900 and use my block and do what I can then have my mechanic/friend who built his 96 cobra do the rest.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What about Boss 330 Racing?? I heard that they are one of the top 3 builders in the country for shortblocks. I'm looking into it right now..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The aluminator has had a lot of problems and Ford is effing with the warrenty. Basically damn near everyone who bought one is now screwed.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Have the same people do the machine work, balance work, shortblock, longblock, cylinder heads, install and tune. And most importantly hve they guy doing the work stand behind his work with service like this:

Doesn't Proline build Modular Powerhouse's motors?

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
What about Boss 330 Racing?? I heard that they are one of the top 3 builders in the country for shortblocks. I'm looking into it right now..

He is one of the best modular builders in the world. However, it goes back to what I said about service. When you call Modular Perfomance...the owner John answers the phone on the 3rd ring. When you call Modular Powerhouse, the owner's wife Rhonda answers the phone on the 3rd ring. To me, it all comes down to who does or doesn't answer the phone when you call

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Doesn't Proline build Modular Powerhouse's motors?

Yes, they do and Tim will stand behind everything they build. As far as Modular Powerhouse is concerned, it's like they built it themselves.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Also, I was always scared to do this on previous cars because of the cam setup, do you still need to degree in the stock cams when putting them back in?

Yes, degree them.

As for the parts, piecing a motor together adds to the cost so if you are not going to build it yourself just have a reputable shop handle everything from the parts to the build.

Search:
Modular Performance
Modular Powerhouse
Proline
MMR
Livernois
DSS
Boss 330

Check over on corral also. Remember, in most cases you get what you pay for.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yes, they do and Tim will stand behind everything they build. As far as Modular Powerhouse is concerned, it's like they built it themselves.

I understand that Tim stands by the motors but they do not build them. The good thing about modular performance/proline relationship is that one won't blame the other if there is a failure.

03CobraRed

Established Member
The motor will be pulled by myself and probably taken somewhere to be disassembled and then assembled. Then I will have Kurgan tune the car after its all back running. I can handle the removal and installation but assembling motors is not my specialty. I would love to be able to just buy one, have somebody put my heads on it and drop it in. Am I asking too much?

03CobraRed

Established Member
I have had my own personal issues with DSS. I probably wont be using them unless they have had some significant quality improvements.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Sounds like you want to do exactley what I have in my plans. I'll listen in. I'm thinking about getting the internal kit form MMR's street mod 900 and use my block and do what I can then have my mechanic/friend who built his 96 cobra do the rest.

Just curious, but why would you spend the extra funds on their crank?

Users who are viewing this thread