Real world MPG

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have a couple of blackstone kits as well if you need one. I can drop one off when I drop off the bung and pick the pipe up.

I actually haven't changed my oil yet..I know with the 5.0's ford had a break in additive in the engine and if you changed the oil early, you got that damned tick. I wasn't sure if these cars had the additive or not, so I left the oil in for the standard interval..it's about due now.

Last edited:

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
Fuel econ depends on how you drive, for normal driving, I shift less that 2500 rpms. and get consistent 29.2 on the display. That's with 93 octane and not reset for the last 1000 miles. It will go down if I romp on it hard at a red light, but if i revert back to normal driving it comes back up. Also, I have noticed if I put my cruise on 65 mph on any long trip, i stay at that mpg. 70 and above it comes down. That's just what I have experienced.

NEMES1S

Established Member
I have a couple of blackstone kits as well if you need one. I can drop one off when I drop off the bung and pick the pipe up.

I actually haven't changed my oil yet..I know with the 5.0's ford had a break in additive in the engine and if you changed the oil early, you got that damned tick. I wasn't sure if these cars had the additive or not, so I left the oil in for the standard interval..it's about due now.

When are you changing your oil? Miles wise?

Because I am coming up on 3000miles and want to know if I should change it then or wait a little longer.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Oil change intervals are up for debate. There are threads dedicated just to that. In all the vehicles I have had none have ever had to be changed more frequently than 5K miles. I did have to change my '08 diesel more frequently, but that was my choice due to the emissions system contaminating the oil with fuel. I have since solved that problem. The only other time I do more frequently is on my OT car. I do that about every third event, just for cheap insurance, but honestly could probably run the entire year on one fresh change. For street cruising with some spirited driving thrown in, 5K. It is easy to track, 5,10,15...you get the idea.

TRBO VNM

Because I am coming up on 3000miles and want to know if I should change it then or wait a little longer.

WOW, you haven't changed it yet? You bought it new right?

I unfortunately doubled my mileage I was planning on my first one, 500 miles. I am at 1000 now and need to get it on the lift tomorrow to change it.

Fresh engine, I always change sooner rather than later. After that I will do every 3000 miles just because that is what I want to do.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member

Gonna do 5k intervals. I haven't changed mine either. I didn't know if these cars came from the factory with the same break in additive as the 5.0s did..the folks that changed theirs early like I normally would have (ie, around 250 and 500 miles) were treated to a very annoying engine tick. Ford eventually came out and told people NOT to change the oil early.

I hadn't read anything either way on this car, but decided to take a chance and leave it for the normal interval before changing it. I didn't want to be dealing with an engine tick because I removed some oil additive that ford had in there before it was intended to be removed.

TRBO VNM

Gonna do 5k intervals. I haven't changed mine either. I didn't know if these cars came from the factory with the same break in additive as the 5.0s did..the folks that changed theirs early like I normally would have (ie, around 250 and 500 miles) were treated to a very annoying engine tick. Ford eventually came out and told people NOT to change the oil early.

I hadn't read anything either way on this car, but decided to take a chance and leave it for the normal interval before changing it. I didn't want to be dealing with an engine tick because I removed some oil additive that ford had in there before it was intended to be removed.

Over on the ST site most are doing 500 miles as the first and then regular intervals after. One person did post up pics of the oil looking green. I don't recall the response of why. Either way, mine is getting done tomorrow or wednesday once I have this clutch finished and car running that is on my lift. I need to do nick's oil change as well.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Over on the ST site most are doing 500 miles as the first and then regular intervals after. One person did post up pics of the oil looking green. I don't recall the response of why. Either way, mine is getting done tomorrow or wednesday once I have this clutch finished and car running that is on my lift. I need to do nick's oil change as well.

Admittedly, I never did any research on this one with regards to the first change interval. I'm ready to change mine now though, I just have to go get the oil/filter and find the time to do it in the evening. It should be easier after this week is over, because I'll have an empty garage while Roger makes my car back into a two tone..no more white hood for me.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I see about 28-30 commuting daily, mostly freeways. I notice if I do a lot of driving around town on the weekends the average drops to 24-26.

NEMES1S

Established Member

I have all my stuff to change it this weekend as well. So I may just knock it out then. But on a different note my oil looks ok from the deep stick.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Mike you won't have your car long enough to worry if the engine ticks or not, if history is a sign of cars to come.

NEMES1S

Established Member
WOW, you haven't changed it yet? You bought it new right?

I unfortunately doubled my mileage I was planning on my first one, 500 miles. I am at 1000 now and need to get it on the lift tomorrow to change it.

Fresh engine, I always change sooner rather than later. After that I will do every 3000 miles just because that is what I want to do.

Yes I brought it new. I have owned alot of cars but only 4 brand new. I dont want to change it to early. My others where trucks and I changed them as soon as I got them home but I dont know if that was good or not with this car.

TRBO VNM

I haven't checked the manual or supplement yet about that, but you can look there or call ford performance and ask them if what mike mentioned is accurate for this car with break in additives. I know on the other site there were multiple people that said 500 miles.

And honestly, you will hear a lot of different things about engine break-in. Anything from go very easy for 1000-1500 miles, to once it hits operating temp it is broken in. Some people with new engines, once all fluids are topped, then go give it hell with some WOT blasts and then put it on the dyno.

As far as I am concerned, mine is broken in.

and BTW, I was being a little sarcastic there about you not doing an oil change yet.

TRBO VNM

We should just have an oil changing party this weekend....NOT. LOL

Nick is coming down tomorrow night for me to do his, so I will do mine at the same time and check out the undercoating job that Ford did last week.

Mike you won't have your car long enough to worry if the engine ticks or not, if history is a sign of cars to come.

Been a while since I have seen a truer statement written.

Last edited:

NEMES1S

Established Member
You made me nervous Jason so I changed my oil soon as I got off work this morning around 6am,lol.

Users who are viewing this thread