Rear Brake Pads

coco

Established Member
I took my car today for the 15,000 miles service to the dealer. After inspecting the whole car, the mechanic told me that the rear brake pads needed to be changed. I asked him how come the rear and not the front since I do not burn tires nor drag race my car but the Tech didn't know either. Anyway, I suspect that it may have been caused by the traction control but I am not sure. The front brake pads are okay.

After several hours waiting, they bring back my car and I paid (451.00) for the service and the brake pad change (they had to remove the drive shaft to change the brake pads, why?). I have a 10th anniverssary and once I got home, I noticed that both calipers red paint were severely scratched. I called the dealer and they told me to take the car back to them so that the manager can see the calipers and see if there is something they can do about it. I am going Saturday morning since I can't go any earlier.

Any suggestions/explanation about the whole issue? Help...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
You just got PHUCKED VERY VERY VERY HARD!!!! I just changed my rear brake pads. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to remove the driveshaft to change brake pads. Paying 10% over cost through Steve at Tousley Ford, my motorcraft rear pads were $32 and took about 30 minutes to install once I figured out how. I can't believe how hard you just took it from them.

Let this be a lesson. It is cheaper to buy the tools and do it yourself because after that, you will know how and still have the tools as opposed to just throwing $450 down a hole.

Go kick their ass on your calipers. For what they just did to you, you deserve a new pair of anniversary calipers.

Last edited:

coco

Established Member
You are right...this s..t happened at Metro Ford here in Miami. I'll try to get my new calipers at least. The 15,000 miles service was 200.00 and the brake pad change was 250.00. Incidentally, I used to change my pads in other cars I had and I thought I learned the lesson with my previous car, BMW.

How can the rear pads have worn out faster than the front pads?

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Hey guys, the same happened to me. My '04 Cobra just hit 24K miles, and upon inspection it was discovered that my rear pads were just about gone. However, the front ones have around 60% left on them. I can not undertand either how this is possible. I have done maybe 4 very short duration burn outs since I bought the car brand new.

By the way, since I do not have the necessary tools, and I have never done brakes, I took it to a local Firestone store (I have done business with them before and they have a great mechanic there). I paid $260 for the rear brakes and an oil change with Mobil 1.

The only thing is that despite the fact that the front pads are in good shape, they squeak some. They feel like there is some glazing. I may end up swapping these too.

By the way, my experience with my local Ford Dealer's Service Department has not been very good. They are rude, do not want to do the work (give me the BS of "I can not reproduce the problem" or it is "normal"), take minimum of 3 days to do any little thing, and I get my car back very dirty all the time.

I would like to learn how to do the brake pads as I am very handy and have done a lot of other mechanical work.

Any comments will be very appreciated, and good luck with your cars.

Last edited:

coco

Established Member
I'll be doing my front pads as well very soon. I have read many opinions about different pads but what I just want are the silent, can't cause warping to the rotors and no dust...where the hell can I get what I want?

Snake, you are also in Miami, which Firestone store do you go? I'll just use the dealer from now on for mileage or time service but not for simple works like this so I don't lose my warranty. I know there are some good shops in Miami but still need to find them through references.

Last edited by a moderator:

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Coco- I took it to the Firestone next to Cuttler Ridge Mall on US1. Ask for David. He is an old, slim man. . . a bit of a hillbilly, but very cool and did a great job. Good luck man.

69hahaha

Established Member
Coming from a Ford tech., sorry you got taken. Why they removed your driveshaft to do the rear brakes is a mystery to me. Another thing is why did a 15k mile service cost you that much? None of the major services are due until 30k miles. I would deff. go back there and demand to talk to someone, especially about your calipers.

coco

Established Member
Took the car to the dealer this AM and the Service Manager stated that I had a legitimate complaint and they will replace the anniverssary calipers without hesitation. The calipers have been ordered and should be here sometime next week.

PDubs

Established Member
Holy crap! I thought I was the only one with this issue. I'm at 26k and had to replace my rear pads AND rotors (my bad). Front ones are fine. Took pics for comparison but I can't explain it either?? No burnouts, linelock, drifting, whatever.

Does anyone know why in the hell the rears would wear out faster than the fronts?? I'm stumped.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Wow, i thought it was just me. Yes, if anyone can chime in on this. Is it the rear pad material they use or is the car just more rear bias? I thought maybe i was not heel n toe correctly or something happened to my e-brake, but cant be the e-brake cause she coasts once i let it down. I just bought Hawk HPS for the rears and dont want them to run out quickly if this is an issue.

italianstallion

Established Member
I find this very odd. The front brakes do the large majority of the stopping force and they are suppose to wear faster than the rears.

I am getting new front rotors and pads this week after 27K miles. The rears have 40% left and are original.

69hahaha

Established Member
jimwood said:
Hard story to believe. Remove the driveshaft to get to the pads???

Yeah, that's what I said, makes no sense. Also earlier I asked why the 15k service was so expensive, I thought you may have just gotten an oil change, tire rotation and maybe an air filter but I assume you got some other stuff as well ?

coco

Established Member
15k service, included air filter, oil and filter change, multi point inspection (this is bull), balance and rotation of tires that's all I got for the 15k sevice.

I still want to know from this forum why the drive shaft was taken down and why the rear brake pads wore faster than the front ones...I still believe it was caused by the traction control, don't have any other idea.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
I'm in the same boat. 17,000 miles and my rears need replaced. The rear pads are a softer compound than the fronts so they wear out much faster.
Sorry to hear about the dealer givin you the business though man, that sucks. At 15,000 miles all I had to do was change the oil and fuel filter.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I just did by brakes again. Its really not that hard. Just remember how things come apart and put it back the same way. Check out my post in this section.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
04Red-Snake said:
...By the way, since I do not have the necessary tools, and I have never done brakes, I took it to a local Firestone store (I have done business with them before and they have a great mechanic there). I paid $260 for the rear brakes and an oil change with Mobil 1...

It's really a very easy job to do yourself if you have a jack and jack-stands. The only "special" tool you need is the rear brake piston compressor tool. I got a universal one at O'rielly cheap. It looks like a small version of that cube thing from the Hellraiser movie. :) That and a C-clamp are all you should need outside of normal sockets and wrenches. You don't even really need any tools to get the fronts on, other than to take the tires off and pull the caliper pin out.

Users who are viewing this thread