rear caliper sticking

whitesnake86

Established Member
Thought I've been hearing some scraping sound from the back left lately, went to the car wash today to wash up my 07 gt500 and the back wheel was kind of steaming from
being real hot, only drove a mile and didn't get on it at all.. is a rear caliper issue on ours common?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
If its not under warranty, take it apart and clean it Use some brake grease when putting it back together. I took mine apart to paint them. Not too hard.

The rear caliper pistons don't just push in. They need to be twisted or screwed in (for the emergency brake).

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
take the caliper of and make sure that the pad is seated correctly on the piston. the piston has a little raised section that will push the pad out just a tad causing it to rub, it might just need to be screwed in a little bit to get everything fitting flush and correctly

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
My LR caliper hung on my '07 too. I replaced it with a new one from Ford. I first took it apart cleaned it and lubed the slides but the outboard pad kept hanging. I would just get a new caliper and save yourself some time. Make sure the e-brake cable is adjusted properly. The adjuster is under the little access cover in the center console storage box. You can buy the caliper reset tool to turn the piston back in at Harbor Freight for $40 or rent it from Autozone or Advanced for free for a one time use. Its an easy job.

whitesnake86

Established Member
Thanks, yea I'll take it apart and see how the pad is seated and try greasing it.... I have some new pads already, I did the front pads in the beginning of the season but never made it to the back, the car still has low miles too, only 16,000

whitesnake86

Established Member
Just did my rear brakes, the right pads were low but not bad... driver side was different though, inner pad was pretty low and outter was completely worn down almost to the metal, quite surprising for on16,000 miles... but I suppose it must have been sticking a little and needed a bit of greasing...

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Just did my rear brakes, the right pads were low but not bad... driver side was different though, inner pad was pretty low and outter was completely worn down almost to the metal, quite surprising for on16,000 miles... but I suppose it must have been sticking a little and needed a bit of greasing...

Keep in mind that the traction control/stability control will use your rear brakes.

If you are activating it a lot, that would explain the premature wear - not necessarily a stuck pad.

Users who are viewing this thread