Rear Clunking

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Whenever I go over a bump there is a clunking sound coming from the passenger side rear. My car does have wheel hop when I get on it if this could have anything to do with it. I believe I checked my rear sway bar, but im not 100% positive it was the sway bar. Havent been able to check my top shock bolts yet. Anyone have this problem or think of any possible solution?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have the same problem. I haven't had time to get under there and look to see what it is, but its annoying as all hell. I don't have spring issos installed either so it could be from that.

exdeath

Established Member
I have the same problem. I haven't had time to get under there and look to see what it is, but its annoying as all hell. I don't have spring issos installed either so it could be from that.

Possible sources of shifting (movement) clunk noises in the IRS:

-control arm bushings
-sub frame mounts
-differential mounts
-spring isolators
-upper and lower shock mounts
-sway bar bushings and end links
-12mm subframe bolts
-shock itself
-cross axis joints

Basically consider everything that is allowed to move or have play.

Without spring isos you have metal on metal and if the spring binds and wants to rotate as it compresses, it can make popping noises. Only way to get rid of that is isolators or go to coil overs which have needle bearings at the upper and lower spring perches to eliminate spring binding.

Suspension noises are a pain to troubleshoot as you can't exactly simulate thousands of pounds of forces in the wheel with the car in the air.

Last edited:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Got the same clunk or popping sound. Only happens when i back out from driveway or drive into an incline of a steep driveway...me thinks it happens when the spring has been compressed its fullest..btw im not lowered

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
^^^

That's a good read, I'm going to look into that.
I thought it was from not having issos on my rear springs, but the sound that is described in that link is exactly what I'm hearing. Hopefully I can just reweld that peace back together and be done with it.

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
I have a clunk as well over certain bumps, took me months to find it as I dug around the rear end. Turns out it was the passenger side of the e brake cable gromet came out through the floor board, and the cable hits. If your sure its rear end related, dis-regard

Users who are viewing this thread