Rear Diff cover shattered with BF Brace

T800

Established Member
1st/2nd pull getting on freeway:

2012-09-13_18-04-18_407.jpg

2012-09-14_08-48-10_155.jpg

Car is pullied...not big power. Looking at getting the LPW cover to replace it. Will the BF piece fit on the new one? Opinions, comments?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
How long has the brace been on there, and when was the last time you checked the bolts for tightness? Sorry to see that.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Looking at getting the LPW cover to replace it. Will the BF piece fit on the new one? Opinions, comments?

good choice! you will not need the brace once you get a cover. (it wouldn't fit anyway)

another option is the frpp cover, which imo is actually a nicer piece than the lpw. more bells and whistles, and fits better too.

best of luck with it :beer:

T800

Established Member
How long has the brace been on there, and when was the last time you checked the bolts for tightness? Sorry to see that.

Been on about a month or two. Checked them right after...but hadn't since. That was one of my suspicions.

good choice! you will not need the brace once you get a cover. (it wouldn't fit anyway)

another option is the frpp cover, which imo is actually a nicer piece than the lpw. more bells and whistles, and fits better too.

best of luck with it :beer:

Yeah...saw the FRPP piece...kinda spendy. I guess I could sell the BF part to make up some of the cost...looks new! :-D

Anybody know if you can swap in a new one(LPW or FRPP) without dropping the IRS completely. I have searched and it seems that a couple people have made it happen...no real walkthrough though, kinda vague.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Anybody know if you can swap in a new one(LPW or FRPP) without dropping the IRS completely. I have searched and it seems that a couple people have made it happen...no real walkthrough though, kinda vague.

Yes, just drop the pumpkin out the bottom. No need to remove the entire subframe.

Last edited:

T800

Established Member
Yes, just drop the pumpkin out the bottom. No need to remove the entire subframe.

Any special tools? Car isn't at home and I would need to hump my stuff over there. So remove front mount, halfshafts,...? Obviously the cat back comes off. Will search it out and see what I come up with.

If anybody has any tips/tricks that make it easier I would appreciate it. I will be doing this on the ground, with stands. Thanks.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Any special tools? Car isn't at home and I would need to hump my stuff over there. So remove front mount, halfshafts,...? Obviously the cat back comes off. Will search it out and see what I come up with.

If anybody has any tips/tricks that make it easier I would appreciate it. I will be doing this on the ground, with stands. Thanks.

If you take the whole knuckle off, and slide the half shaft out with the knuckle, you can skip taking off the hub nut, which isnt that easy, and then you have to re-torque it to 240 ft lbs. Other than that, no special tools or anything. Just take care not to damage the seals on the pumpkin when removing and installing the half shafts.

T800

Established Member
If you take the whole knuckle off, and slide the half shaft out with the knuckle, you can skip taking off the hub nut, which isnt that easy, and then you have to re-torque it to 240 ft lbs. Other than that, no special tools or anything. Just take care not to damage the seals on the pumpkin when removing and installing the half shafts.

Good idea...thanks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I feel that there were other forces at work here...IRS sub-frame did the Squiggly Squid or something. It's almost like the rear of the cover was twisted and just shattered.

Absolutely. If you have OEM rubber bushings, everything in your IRS is doing the 'Squiggly Squid' as you described. Your differential housing is flopping in your suframe like a Crappie out of water. This is what broke your cover. Don't expect a rear cover brace to perform miracles.

That's why I've been saying IRS cover is a superior solution over the brace band-aid for a couple years now.

For many years, people relied on the rear cover brace as a solution to rear cover breakage and it actually DID help. But it's not the cure all. We now have a 'sure fire' cure all with the reinforced Ford Racing rear diff cover.

this happened in my last cobra. Needless to say I have a SRA in this car ;)

Too bad for you. :( You do know that you actually downgraded the suspension on your car. That is unless you're competing for a National Drag Racing Championship in some sort of drag racing series, then I would approve. However, I highly doubt that is your case. Hopefully you realize that 98% of Cobra owners actually drive their cars 99% of the time on the street and an IRS is a MUCH better choice.

To tell you the truth.. After I put the NT05s on this summer, the wheelhop disappeared. Wheelhop will be coming back due to climate changes. Damn I need to get my FTB bushings in...

As for SRA - Over my dead body. :p

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Yeah my Goodyear F1's wheel-hopped like crazy. The R888's are butter smooth. Same here as far as SRA and FTBR goes.

Good Year F1's are the 'axis of evil' when it comes to wheel hop!! :cryying:

FWIW

T800

Established Member
Good Year F1's are the 'axis of evil' when it comes to wheel hop!! :cryying:

Yeah, they came with the car when I bought it. I was reading all the info on your sight and saw that you specifically called out the F1's a being the worst when it comes to wheel hop. Ordered new tires that same day!

Wish you were closer as we could sort it out quick. Got an extra stock cover if funds are tight.

Believe me, I would welcome the help!! Have an LPW cover on the way. Taking apart the IRS is up there with removing the drivers side valve cover.

It's not hard...but what a PITA. Why can't it be like the intercooler pump? :lol1:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yeah, they came with the car when I bought it. I was reading all the info on your sight and saw that you specifically called out the F1's a being the worst when it comes to wheel hop. Ordered new tires that same day!

Believe me, I would welcome the help!! Have an LPW cover on the way. Taking apart the IRS is up there with removing the drivers side valve cover.

It's not hard...but what a PITA. Why can't it be like the intercooler pump? :lol1:

If you are putting a LPW cover on your car make DAMN sure you change your front and rear diff mouning bushings. This is what broke your cover in the first place.

Also, if you're reusing your OEM rear diff support bracket, after you put Delrin bushings in it, you are going to want to test fit the mounting bracket on the cover before going in the car to make sure there is no rubbing or interference. You're most likley going to have to grind some or all of the 'LPW' letters off of the new cover.

FWIW

T800

Established Member
If you are putting a LPW cover on your car make DAMN sure you change your front and rear diff mouning bushings. This is what broke your cover in the first place.

Also, if you're reusing your OEM rear diff support bracket, after you put Delrin bushings in it, you are going to want to test fit the mounting bracket on the cover before going in the car to make sure there is no rubbing or interference. You're most likley going to have to grind some or all of the 'LPW' letters off of the new cover.

FWIW

You using "The Force" Bruce? I was just on your sight and thought I better AT LEAST get the front/rear differential bushings!! Don't want to throw good money away and shatter this new cover.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear bracket...I remember reading about having to grind the letters off, but had since forgotten.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Too bad for you. :( You do know that you actually downgraded the suspension on your car. That is unless you're competing for a National Drag Racing Championship in some sort of drag racing series, then I would approve. However, I highly doubt that is your case. Hopefully you realize that 98% of Cobra owners actually drive their cars 99% of the time on the street and an IRS is a MUCH better choice.

Hell Id say the same if I was making thousands selling bushings to fix a sub par ford IRS. There is a way to say things without sounding as cocky as you came off.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hell Id say the same if I was making thousands selling bushings to fix a sub par ford IRS. There is a way to say things without sounding as cocky as you came off.

I'm guessing you have a solid rear axle in your Cobra? :shrug:

I'll also bet you think you know more about suspension and vehicle dynamics than a team of SVT engineers as well! :rollseyes

Carry on!!!

mach1033

Established Member
I dont understand why members on here hate on FTBR upgrades. Bruce is a business man that sells a quality product for those that want to make the IRS perform better. If he sold a BS product that didnt work then I'm 100% sure he would have been booted off this site. I have no issue with the SRA switch but it is not the end all. Some members are new here that just bought there car and are looking for ideas. This car did not come out being perfect. Think of some of the first upgrads that people do like TB's, intakes, cat backs etc etc. When I first bought my car and took it to the track I was like the WTF is this BS. I hopped like a mutha and 60ft was a 2.4 and it was very swirly on the top end. His kit along with a set of MT's completely changed all that.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I had an IRS with the ftbr bushing kit, all of them, and a diff brace. Never wheel hopped on me and never had issues. But I'm swapping to a sra right now. When I go to the drag strip with my slicks on, hit that 2 step at 4500-5k rpm's then drop the clutch, I don't want to have to worry about my half shafts and how I'm getting home that day. That's my only reasoning.

T800

Established Member
I had an IRS with the ftbr bushing kit, all of them, and a diff brace. Never wheel hopped on me and never had issues. But I'm swapping to a sra right now. When I go to the drag strip with my slicks on, hit that 2 step at 4500-5k rpm's then drop the clutch, I don't want to have to worry about my half shafts and how I'm getting home that day. That's my only reasoning.

For the price of an SRA swap that you can launch like that on...I could buy a trailer. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread