Rear Diff Leak Be careful!

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
Well lets just say I got off easy, Last summer I did all the IRS bushings and didn't think I could swing the BF brace with my funds, so I didn't do it. I finished out the summer and when I got the car out this spring I saw the diff. was leaking. I let it go a month and still drove it and it started to get a bigger puddle under it. So I sent out for the Brace and pulled the IRS out to reseal and put on the brace. I pulled the rear diff cover off and everything looked great until I started cleaning the cover off to reseal it. I found a 2 1/2 inch crack running up the bottom of the cover. I could see it from both sides of the cover, I'm just glad it didn't give out on me. For now on I'll spend the extra money and do it right the first time it might have saved me the money in the long run. The cover from ford was list priced and $220.00 Lucky I have and account and got it for $150.00. I guess I lucky it could have been more. So if you have a leak Check it good for cracks. I didn't see it until I hit it with some cleaner. Just tryin to help good luck guys.

Jimbo1221

Established Member
Well lets just say I got off easy, Last summer I did all the IRS bushings and didn't think I could swing the BF brace with my funds, so I didn't do it. I finished out the summer and when I got the car out this spring I saw the diff. was leaking. I let it go a month and still drove it and it started to get a bigger puddle under it. So I sent out for the Brace and pulled the IRS out to reseal and put on the brace. I pulled the rear diff cover off and everything looked great until I started cleaning the cover off to reseal it. I found a 2 1/2 inch crack running up the bottom of the cover. I could see it from both sides of the cover, I'm just glad it didn't give out on me. For now on I'll spend the extra money and do it right the first time it might have saved me the money in the long run. The cover from ford was list priced and $220.00 Lucky I have and account and got it for $150.00. I guess I lucky it could have been more. So if you have a leak Check it good for cracks. I didn't see it until I hit it with some cleaner. Just tryin to help good luck guys.

I've got a steady leak... we'll see.

66 Side Oiler

Established Member
Good info. I got a small drip also. I was reading about the braces on another thread. I'll look at it this weekend. As a mechanical engineer, this issue seems to be a design issue getting a patch job. Not sure about you guys, but wheel hop is an issue also. There is a couple fixes out, but nothing looks great. I am starting to know why Shelby went straight on the 500s. I would hate to change a 03 that much though. An ideal setup: Ford 9" with a welded back brace, stainless steel four-bar linkage, a true watts linkage (panhard bar) bolted to the center housing brace, adjustible coil overs and Wilwood disk. I better start playing Lotto hu!, lol. KR500 or a GT; what the hell!

Users who are viewing this thread