Rear end leak causing dirty rear wheels?

CWCobra

Established Member
Washed my '03 yesterday, and noted greasy black goo build up on inside of rear wheels. Appears to be diff lube, which is dripping off of lower shock mount on both sides, and accumulating on inside of wheel. I finally got it clean with lots 'o rags and 1/2 can of WD-40, followed by more soap and water.

Where's this stuff coming from??? I don't know enough about the IRS to speculate, but is it like the live axle, that has seals (bad?)at the outside ends of the axle? Seems like half shafts would be different. Guess I'll get under the car after a while and poke around.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Later,
CW

SVTyballz

Established Member
There is a grease fitting there that might have been the source. That was how I made a mess of my wheels after I hit them with a grease gun.

gary

FINICKY

Established Member
mine is doing it too i think they may have greased up the axle splines when the slid them in the hubs and noe its leaking out in a liquid form .....although mines is still leaking 1400 miles later and i wipe it clean al the time

03DOHC

Established Member
Check the outer CV Boots. Sometimes grease can come out of there too. The IRS is different than a live axle in that there are no axle seals for the gear oil to leak at the wheel. It's probably grease.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
Washed my '03 yesterday, and noted greasy black goo build up on inside of rear wheels. Appears to be diff lube, which is dripping off of lower shock mount on both sides, and accumulating on inside of wheel. I finally got it clean with lots 'o rags and 1/2 can of WD-40, followed by more soap and water.

Where's this stuff coming from??? I don't know enough about the IRS to speculate, but is it like the live axle, that has seals (bad?)at the outside ends of the axle? Seems like half shafts would be different. Guess I'll get under the car after a while and poke around.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Later,
CW

I notice alot of brake dust on rear wheels, but I don't think I seen the grease, where exactly should I look? :(

CWCobra

Established Member
Brake dust accumulates on outside of wheel, but the grease (as well as brake dust) accumulates on inside of wheel. Can be seen/felt thru spokes of wheel.
Later,
CW

Users who are viewing this thread