Rear end noise...

cannondalemtb

Established Member
I have a clicking/clunking noise that is speed variable and seems to only really happen under mild to moderate acceleration and comes and goes. It also only seems to be coming from the passenger side. I plan on replacing the rear diff fluid, but the plug is stripped out so I am going to be purchasing a new cover with a fill hole and I don't want to do it twice. So whatever is causing the noise needs to be replaced when I do the fluid. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
something could be loose in there, but she needs fluid immediately!!! my buddys t/a did the same thing and got worse and worse, though it was his exhaust clunking even tho we told him it was the rear cause it leaked a little, but anyways dumped it out of the exhaust shop and the rear blew out of the car...so u should get on that asap

cannondalemtb

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I am ordering the new cover/girdle tonight so I will be changing the fluid ASAP. I was looking at the rear end today and I had noticed the it appears that the passenger side rear wheel is sticking out about an inch or two further than the driver's side. Any idea what could be causing that?

BTW any difference between the two other than one comes with a gasket and studs for the same price?
1979-2010 Ford Mustang 8.8" Rear End Stud Girdle Differential Cover Silver - UPR Products
1979-2010 Ford Mustang 8.8" Rear End Stud Girdle - UPR Products

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread