rear end oil

Aphosis

Established Member
rearend on my car looks like it might be leaking a little i was going to put a gasket on it and fill it up what oil do u guys us? As far as i know its never been opened should i clean it out or just fill it and forget :shrug:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
if its leaking...it may be the pinion seal on the front section. If your lucky it will be the rear cover. Yeah clean it out the best you can. use gloves because it stinks real bad. do not forget the friction modifier.

EDIT: no gasket needed. just get the black rtv high temp silicone.

Last edited:

94venomV8

Established Member
What is needed to change the pinion seal. I am putting gears back in the car and just want to do a new one for the heck of it.

kintek

Rollin with the Sixxer
Established Member
Aphosis if you see streaks of oil leading to the back of the read diff, then its from your pinion seal otherwise it's most likely the diff cover leaking. Easiest to find out for me was having it on jack stands completely. meaning the the whole stang on stands. I had mine sit working on the exhaust and noticed after a couple of days I started to see fliud drips. Luckly I was going to be replacing the seals and gears in it the soon anyways.

I use castrol gear oil SAE 80w-90

might be others that are better Idk, I got mine at O'rielly's.

What is needed to change the pinion seal. I am putting gears back in the car and just want to do a new one for the heck of it.

When I pulled my pinion seal out I used the seal puller tools. It looks like two spikes on both ends. My friend used a flat head screw driver to get one out, that was before I invested in the seal puller.

The problem I had after that was getting the shim off the old pinion to put on the new pinion.

We used a big enough socket to put the pinion seal back in along with a rubber mallet.

Aphosis

Established Member
mine was one jackstands getting a tranny when noticed a little puddle

kintek

Rollin with the Sixxer
Established Member
Since I replaced mine and I have yet to put the aluminum driveshaft back in because of the new pinion holes for the bolts for letting the bolts fit all the way in. I have noticed it forming a new little puddle as well.

I was told that its to full of fluid if it is leaking out after new seals. Mine is leaking form the pinion, I believe its coming over the top of my seal. But I have the stang at a slight decline on the front jack stands still, since I had pulled the motor and tranny to do a complete rebuild on it.

Idk if it will effect anything if I put the front up to level it out again or not. I can't set it down just yet, as I still need to get my exhaust back and install it.

idk if dropping the back down just a bit would change the effect or not, since I do see the rear diff does have a slight downward angle to it when its up in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread