Rear ended, frame cracked. What are my options?

Rel

Established Member
Car was hit on the passenger rear, I drove the car to a shop to see why the door gaps were so wide on the drivers side and so tight on the passenger side...

Frame has a crack near the passenger spring area.
Shop has quoted me $1000 to put on frame machine and straighten/weld. Another has quoted me $350 at 70/hr.

Any questions I should ask or anything else I should be aware of?
If you know how to take care of rust let me know. (The search feature doesn't work)

If you know someone or a shop in NYC area send me a message.

IMG_2179.JPGIMG_2178.JPGIMG_2177.JPGIMG_2175.JPGIMG_2172.JPG

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
You can try a rust converter like POR15, which I've used on a boat oil pan with success. But with that much rust and the area in question being structural, I'd probably be looking at replacing those rails.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It looks rust compromised. I think your bill could easily sky rocket when the start pulling/welding.

Rel

Established Member
Both shops state it's definitely fixable on a frame machine, I just don't want to end up costing too much.

There's a MAACO near me with a frame machine also, should I go there too?

If anyone knows someone good in the NYC area please let me know.

Last edited:

M91196

Established Member
Looking at the rust on the steel lines and the x member in question your going to be chasing that stuff forever unless you sandblast refinish and replace as, necessary all the scaly bits. No easy way out. I might fix it as cheap as possible and peddle it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Both shops state it's definitely fixable on a frame machine, I just don't want to end up costing too much.

There's a MAACO near me with a frame machine also, should I go there too?

If anyone knows someone good in the NYC area please let me know.

Looking at the rust on the steel lines and the x member in question your going to be chasing that stuff forever unless you sandblast refinish and replace as, necessary all the scaly bits. No easy way out. I might fix it as cheap as possible and peddle it.

This, you can pull and fix anything, but they can't weld rust. So how far will they have to chase to good metal? $$$$

Rel

Established Member
What can I do about the rust? I'm getting this fixed, no other option is acceptable.

chao5.0

Established Member
anything is fixable the shops are right about their statements, the question is how much are you willing to pay to have it fixed?

My mystic had a mishap last month and we are at $4300+ in damages on that car and it wasn't even that bad of a hit. Just one quarter panel but when it was torn down for inspection they found the shock tower had damage so the problems just kept getting worse. That and the insurance company (or should I say the adjuster) didn't want to listen to myself or the body shop when it came to the price of the paint and when they were hit with the $450 a quart price they wanted to total the car.

Just keep in mind by looking at the pictures and what others are saying, how far will they have to go before they get to a good repairable area before they start repairing the damage?

nomoretickets

Established Member
What can I do about the rust? I'm getting this fixed, no other option is acceptable.

1) Empty bank account
2) Pull apart the whole car
3) Sandblast the frame
4) Cut out all compromised metal
5) Weld in entirely new material

Or you can cut your losses, get the thing drive able and unload it on craigslist, then go find yourself something new. I was in a similar position two years ago. Dont get emotional. Just cut your losses and move on to a new platform.

Rel

Established Member
This is a project car, I appreciate the concern. I'm getting this fixed unless the shop says they can't do it perfectly.IMG_2307.JPGIMG_2309.JPG

nomoretickets

Established Member
This is a project car, I appreciate the concern. I'm getting this fixed unless the shop says they can't do it perfectly.

to make this perfectly clear I am going to use capslock.

YOUR FRAME IS F%CKING CRACKED AND RUSTED OUT.

NOTHING THE BODYSHOP CAN DO WILL EVER GET THIS PERFECT.

THE BEST CASE SCENARIO IS THAT THEY CAN GET THE CAR TO A POINT WHERE IT MEETS THE MINIMUM SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR DRIVING ON PUBLIC ROADS

Rel

Established Member
After searching for other cars on craigslist within the NYC area, I can find a v6 convertible for under $2k (most under $1000) and you that as a base to build up. I'll be sure to check the ENTIRE car for rust.

I'll part this one out and keep the top unless someone wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread