Rear Hub Replacement on IRS

TTA89

Established Member
Sigh.... Went to an Auto X in the rain, didn't even want to get out of bed this weekend but since I run the events I'm sort of obligated. I had a friend dual driving my car and as I was setting things up I had swap the car over to the race tires. The last wheel, last lug coming off somehow stripped. Garbage in the threads? Whatever....

We fought with it in the rain as the nut would just spin but not come off, finally gave up and zipped the street tires back on.

Fast forward to today. Trying to get the wheel off, had to put a pry bar and some bar stock behind the wheel and pry the wheel against the nut and then use the impact to try and get the nut off. Took awhile, the nut finally stripped its way off and we were able to remove the wheel.

I stopped at the Ford dealer at lunch and picked up an extra stud. The previous owner had put extended MM studs in the car for wheel spacers. Once the wheel was off I didn't need to bang the stud out as it was already loose. Since they are longer than stock, It wouldn't come out and we had to cut it off.

I reached around to put the new stud in, put a lug nut on it and started tightening it down and then realized that its flush against the hub. Son of a... The old stud was spinning in the hub and made the hole bigger so now the stock stud just falls out.

So I'm assuming that I'm looking at replacing the hub correct? Having not taken anything apart back there beyond the brakes what exactly am I going to need?

How is the hub connected to the knuckle? It looks like you remove the Axle Nut, tie rod end and whatever else is on the knucle and using a steering wheel type puller you can push the knuckle up and off the axle.

Then what?

Also whats an aprox cost on a hub? I'm supposed to go to Mosport on Sunday... Not looking good... :mj:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mike:

Here's what I found. The axle is not that tight going through the hub. You could tap that out with a lead hammer no problem. The hub however is pretty tight in the knuckle bearing and you're going to need a hydraulic press to get that bad boy out of there.

Depending on how many and what kind of miles are on your car you may want to go ahead and just replace that knuckle bearing while you're in there? You can grind the O.D. off of the outer race of your old bearing to use it as a pressing fixture!

Good Luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

TTA89

Established Member
I lucked out! Mark (MJCHIP) has a spare hub with studs ready to go and he has a press at home. I'm meeting him for lunch tomorrow, he has the socket for the Axle nut and the puller to get the axle out. I'll bring him the Knuckle on Wed and pick it up from him Thursday.

Looks like I'm buying him lunch all week. :-D

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
and remember to support the inner race when pressing the hub into the bearing.

and get the torque right on that axle nut. blue loctite on at least the drivers side. the axle nut preloads the wheel bearings.

long studs can be pressed in (and out) with the hub still in the knuckle, though. you just need to turn the hub until you find the right spot.

TTA89

Established Member
All changed out. It sure makes things easy when you have the correct tools and a friend with a hyd press in his garage. I did loctite the axle nut and torqued everything else to spec as well. I'm gonna change the other side when I get back from Mosport, the previous owner put in long wheel studs and I hate them. I think the toughest part was getting the ebrake cable off the caliper... god I hate those things.

SGL

Banned
ShelbyGuy said:
blue loctite on at least the drivers side. the axle nut preloads the wheel bearings.

At 250 ft-lbs, Blue Loctite has no impact. You can use it if it makes you feel better but it's useless.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
while not exactly its intended usage (temp range is ok) to say its useless with no impact is a bit of a stretch.

stopped my axle nut from coming loose, anyway...

ok from now on i'll just say "use threadlocker on the drivers side because the direction it spins tends to loosen the nut"

serpentnoir said:
At 250 ft-lbs, Blue Loctite has no impact. You can use it if it makes you feel better but it's useless.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:
while not exactly its intended usage (temp range is ok) to say its useless with no impact is a bit of a stretch.

stopped my axle nut from coming loose, anyway...

ok from now on i'll just say "use threadlocker on the drivers side because the direction it spins tends to loosen the nut"

Then can someone explain to me why my right side came loose?!?! :shrug: :read: :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread