Rear Leaf Springs

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Rear Leaf Springs Photos

Just a couple more teaser shots - stock 02 rear leaf springs vs. Roush rear leaf springs this time around

Herb

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
wow bigger diff there than i thought
i dont suppose your gona paint the rearend while its just about all the way out anyway ;-)

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:
i dont suppose your gona paint the rearend while its just about all the way out anyway ;-)

Uh huh - You know me by now :rockon: The e-brake cables, driveshaft yoke and brake lines are the only tings left in there and they'll come out tomorrow or Saturday.

I have to drop the tank too to do the pumps and the cat-back and midpipe will be coming out too, so the frame rails will be nearly bare stem to stern....

Do you think I can resist?

I don't.

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:

I was a bit surprised too.

- 3 leaves compared to 5 stock
- free arc differences are shown
- the stocker are quite a bit more flexible too - I can compress them about an inch.

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
LMMFAO
oh man i could see that commin a mile away when you said you were gona do the springs but i wasnt sure.............. and now i am :thumbsup:
pics pics and more pics bro make sure you got lots of batteries for the camera :beer:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:
LMMFAO
oh man i could see that commin a mile away when you said you were gona do the springs but i wasnt sure.............. and now i am :thumbsup:
pics pics and more pics bro make sure you got lots of batteries for the camera :beer:

Rechargeable Olympus my Brotha' :rockon:

I keep calling this "little project" or "motor build" my accidental frame-off restoration. I've got dozens of pics so far, but I'm sorting through them and posting the 'winners'. Everybody here knows what a stock L underside looks like, so I didn't bother with too many before shots. I'm concentrating more on the during and afters.

Herb

Last edited:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
How much lighter are they?

I'll check them later today Chris (when I get home from work) and post what I find. The 3 leaves are each thicker than the 5 on the OEM spring. By feel while moving them around, I would not expect much reduction.

Herb

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
You suck!!!!!!!Just kidding,I wish I could get that kit.Thats going to look awsome!!!! Lucky bastard...If I ever sell my bike that will be my next mod.I wonder if Tim @ chickenears got any in yet....Hmmm I think my wife would leave me at this point.LOL Well good luck with the install and make sure you post some tips and pics for us,,,because one day I will get them....... :thumbsup:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
brucewrs said:
You suck!!!!!!!Just kidding,I wish I could get that kit.Thats going to look awsome!!!! Lucky bastard...If I ever sell my bike that will be my next mod.I wonder if Tim @ chickenears got any in yet....Hmmm I think my wife would leave me at this point.LOL Well good luck with the install and make sure you post some tips and pics for us,,,because one day I will get them....... :thumbsup:

You're about to hate me even more....

I didn't get the kit, but I got the rear leaves off ebay (cheap). I paid as much for shipping as I paid for the springs.
.$75

Herb

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
Get out. If you see that again on e-bay please let me know.Great price! And yes now I hate you even more..LOL

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
How much lighter are they?

More than I expected - at least ten pounds per side. The only scale I have is a 50 lbs spings (fish) scale that alway reads heavy. The roush comes in at 44 lbs each and the stocker buries the 'needle'. The very end of the range on my scale looks like about 54 to 56 lbs (50 is the last number, but the slide goes part that point a bit) and the stockers are at least that heavy, but I can't so for sure now.

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Some more status photos...

Nasty "before" shot - (note the oil from the blown motor)

A couple "cleaned and painted" shots...

The springs - ready to go in when the frame is done...

and the traction bar brackets..

more to come tomorrow or Tuesday after I clean and paint the frame. Then I can start putting this back together :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
dood clean the garage get all the stuff straightened out and put shit away, its driving me nuts!!! and i cant belive you painted the springs on the grass, geez

and on a side note the rearend looks tiny dont it

oh and another side note what do you think about pulling a leaf out of the stock spring pack? how much do you think one leaf would drop it ad would it be worth it?

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:
dood clean the garage get all the stuff straightened out and put shit away, its driving me nuts!!! and i cant belive you painted the springs on the grass, geez

and on a side note the rearend looks tiny dont it

oh and another side note what do you think about pulling a leaf out of the stock spring pack? how much do you think one leaf would drop it ad would it be worth it?

:lol:

too much shit and not enough places to stash it!!

Actually, for the most part the stuff laying around is tied to the work at hand - all the tools go back on the pegboard after each major task. I'll work on it though - just for you :beer:

The grass is there for 'contrast'. I actually hung them to paint them, but when I laid them out to get a photo, I noticed a couple of thin spots at the clamps and the eyes and shot another quick coat on those areas.

On the stock leaf springs, I think the impact of pulling a leaf would depend on which one you removed. Obviously, there are only three to choose from - I think the short springs provide more rigidity to the pack and the longer ones provide more travel and pack 'spread'. If I were to pull one, I would likely take the center one out. I have read where a handful of folks have done it, but it's usually on the 4x4 sprung 03 and 04 models. If you've got the patience, it wouldn't be too bad to pull it and experiment.

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
you mean 5 to choose from but thats ok i know what you ment

and yeah i might pull one out just to see, but out of the 5 i am not sure what would be better. i was thinking the second from the bottom but maybe ill just try and see what happens
right now i got some time

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:
you mean 5 to choose from but thats ok i know what you ment

and yeah i might pull one out just to see, but out of the 5 i am not sure what would be better. i was thinking the second from the bottom but maybe ill just try and see what happens
right now i got some time

Actually I was thinking that the top and bottom are required, so, of the five, only three 'could' be removed. From what I recall, the 2nd from the bottom is the popular choice.

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread