Rear main seal leaking HELP

bossnova3

Established Member
I have an issue with the rear main seal of my new engine leaking like a dam.... I've searched a lot and haven't gotten a very good detailed instruction on what exactly to do, I bought the back plate from MMR with the one piece seal (no instructions) and installed as per the ford manual (black silicone on the rear of the plate to the engine all across) and installed the seal carefully (without installation tool) on the crank. When I search I seems that everyone does it without the tool without any issues, but as luck would have it that isn't me oil all over the floor. Just wondering if anyone had a good detailed write up or recommendations. I'm currently waiting on another seal from mmr but as you can imagine just want to do this once more.

Thanks in advance
Ed

572ysc

Established Member
I had the same problem. Go to NAPA and have them get all of the different available rear main seal options. One of them will have a plastic installer included. I believe it was the skf brand. Buy the one with the installer and you are good to go. Also make sure to coat that rear oil pan gasket with rtv hrrrrr they should have fixed this issue by now.

bossnova3

Established Member
YES SIR thanks for the heads up will do, so the NAPA rear seal will work good to know. Man I even broke one of the bolts under the plate thinking that it was the problem, it's been a PIA to say the least but at least this should help someone in the future. I've been dying to drive the car and do the break in and instead been chasing this damn oil leak, now back to taking it apart and hope for the best. The MMR back plate is a nice piece and well priced, BUT they should send it with a very detailed set of instruction so that this doesn't happen. Just constructive criticism.

bossnova3

Established Member
Well just a quick update, after the disassembly of everything needed to get to the rear main seal to my surprise all the oil was coming from in between the MMR plate and the oil pan. I never thought that without the addition of silicone on that area it would leak as much as it did. Anyways live and learn for anyone installing the MMR back plate make sure that you silicone the ENTIRE area behind the plate including the bottom where the plate meets the gasket/oil pan.

Ed

amvaughn

Do NOT use MMR Rear Main seal cover!!

Well just a quick update, after the disassembly of everything needed to get to the rear main seal to my surprise all the oil was coming from in between the MMR plate and the oil pan. I never thought that without the addition of silicone on that area it would leak as much as it did. Anyways live and learn for anyone installing the MMR back plate make sure that you silicone the ENTIRE area behind the plate including the bottom where the plate meets the gasket/oil pan.

Ed

I found out the MMR rear main seal cover is a flawed design. It was an expensive mess up. I had a complete engine assembled professionally and the oil pan leaked majorly at the rear. I paid to have the trans and k-member removed to investigate. IT WAS THE MMR rear main seal cover. The factory rear main seal cover has a transition/offset in the metal near the two bolts so that the oil pan gasket will seal all the way across. The MMR cover is one thickness and does not offset near the bolts and the gasket to does not make contact to the cover all the way across. This cost me near $1000.00 to figure out.

Austin

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Well, when you put the stock pieces back in, be sure to use an installation tool. A rear main seal is probably the hardest seal to install, head gaskets are easier. You either have to have a lot of experience doing this, or be really lucky to get it on the first try w/o a tool. Without the tool, on other cars, I've used the socket end of 3/8"x6" extension, and hammer, to lightly but confidently tap around the seal equally, in a criss cross pattern. You need to carefully tap it around equally, and not drive it too deep, or too shallow. It takes a delicate touch, and you almost need to do it by feel to know when its seated. The price of screwing up is getting to pull the trans again!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I suggested this MMR part for my next engine build. My shop said they would not do it. They have tried to use in past and could not get oil leakage to stop.

BilletProShop

Established Member
MMR piece is a poorly designed piece..... and does nothing for your motor... but it does look good...lol
reuse the stock piece and you are good to go!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread