Rear Mount Turbo Setup

BV600

Established Member
I noticed how much room is under the ass end of the car without mufflers and thought a twin setup back there would look pretty good and be simple to fabricate. Ive seen alot of cars make some power when paired with the right size turbo

What are your thoughts?:shrug:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Thought you were trading in your car? NVM, just read your FS thread for your car.

Squires Turbo Systems make a unversal kit but their scavaging oil pump systems aren't the most reliable from what I have read.

-Nick

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Why not just go with a proven TT setup?

Big selling points on the rear mount systems are low engine bay temps, cheap, and they save space for diy'ers

Bad things are they add a little lag and they are prone to not being as reliable(Oil, system, ground clearance from the extra piping, a thousand clamps that can loosen and so on....)

-Nick

Last edited:

BV600

Established Member
Thought you were trading in your car? NVM, just read your FS thread for your car.

Squires Turbo Systems make a unversal kit but their scavaging oil pump systems aren't the most reliable from what I have read.

-Nick
Yeah I am but just for an auto.
Ive heard not so good things about STS, I was thinking more of a custom setup. I had a friend with a GTO use a scavenging pump from a tractor or something.

Why not just go with a proven TT setup?

Well it makes sense but I bet the one you have cost everybit of 9k plus. The one Im talking about could be made for under 3k

Last edited:

BV600

Established Member
Just to give more of what im thinking. This car used two comp oil less turbos and made 734/651 on 11psi.

Camaro1.gif

Camaro3.gif

Buster

Established Member
That is such a sweet setup. Maybe the Paxton will have to come off soon.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
I would like to hear what Ken B and Dustin from CPR would have to comment about this type of turbo kit on a 5.0............

Looks like a sweet setup but how would it perform compared to their kits daily? Positives and negatives from a pro tuner and builder would shed more light on this topic.

-Nick

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I feel like it's just not doing it the right way. I don't like all that charge piping, I hate oiless turbos an I hate scavenger pumps. I think it's just a ghetto way to do it, plus it adds a ton of weight.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i've seen some quality rear mount tech over at yellowbullet.com, i would suggest that you go do some research over there. most of the negatives that people bring up about rear mount systems are either hearsay or based on poorly designed set ups, there are a lot of quirks to building an efficient rear mount. i don't think anyone would call a rear mount optimal, but that doesn't mean that it can't be 90%(or better) of what a quality front mount is!

Cheap, Fast, Reliable...Pick 2
...or, go to theturboforum and check out examples of all 3;-) if you can do the work your self and you do your research when designing your system and picking out components, you can have all 3!

ed209

Established Member
lot of ignorant BS in this thread. a rear mount setup makes a lot of sense for a lot of people and those compressor wheels poking out through the exhausts look ****ing awesome...

itSSlow98

Established Member
Using the comp oilless turbos makes the most sense, they are pricey but they are reliable and makes the install SOOOO much easier.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Oilless turbos. I didn't even know such a thing exsisted
yep, pretty cool pieces...
Comp Turbo - Oil-Less

these guys have nice turbos with self contained oiling systems(kinda like a centrifugal supercharger)...
AEROCHARGER Turbocharger is the most advanced form of forced induction, giving you the edge over the competition. First to Boost, First to Win.
...but their turbo selection is probably too small for good ol' big american V8s(they mainly sell to powersports and motorcycles). they have a twin turbo kit for the G8 that puts out about 600 at the wheels. zero lag what so ever, their oiling system is an interesting design that reduces drag in the turbo to nothing. they're also notorious for not having any wiggle room over the stated limitations of their turbos, if they say a turbo is good for 300HP then you might be popping it at 301HP LOL. VERY nice, innovative pieces none the less! but i digress, rambling off topic here...

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I had a single STS turbo kit on my S197 for a couple years. The spool of a turbo and the power it made was awesome. STS designed a well thought out kit that used factory mounting points to attach the piping. Yes there was turbo lag but not as much as you would think, I was even surprised. I found it minimized the most using an electronic boost controller. While it was a good kit I prefer the traditional engine mounted setup more. No need to worry about scavenge pumps, constantly cleaning the air filter (at least once a week for me), and water potentially entering the engine (Florida rainy season sucks!!)

fa41532a.jpg

028184e1.jpg

[youtube_browser]5din4-lQ6DU[/youtube_browser]

Big selling points on the rear mount systems are low engine bay temps, cheap, and they save space for diy'ers

Bad things are they add a little lag and they are prone to not being as reliable(Oil, system, ground clearance from the extra piping, a thousand clamps that can loosen and so on....)

-Nick

Lag isn't too bad with a properly sized turbo and the use of an electronic boost controller. Piping on the STS kits are pretty good especially with regard to ground clearance. I used silicone hoses with t bolt clamps, those suckers were not going anywhere. Scavenge pump wasn't that bad but it going out always worried me.

Don't get caught in the rain with that setup.

Again, not too bad as the STS kit had water drains on the intercooler so no water would make its way to the engine. It just sucked that the filter was exposed to the rain so much. I even used the STS shield to prevent water from getting kicked up onto the filter from the tires and the sock they have limits you from going WOT as it restricts air flow.

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
I would like to hear what Ken B and Dustin from CPR would have to comment about this type of turbo kit on a 5.0............

Looks like a sweet setup but how would it perform compared to their kits daily? Positives and negatives from a pro tuner and builder would shed more light on this topic.

-Nick

In an attempt to not insult anyone, I will just say this...

I would never tune a 5.0 with that setup under any circumstances. In fact, I don't like remote mount systems PERIOD. There are countless reasons and you really don't need me to list them all.

I can see the lure of the cost and ease of install. But we are talking about modifying your $30k, baddest 5.0 Mustang ever built. I don't think it's a good time to pick a modification based on cost or ease install. Not with this car. I could see if it was a low cost car that you just wanted to add some 'zing' to for cheap. But I still wouldn't tune it. lol

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
In an attempt to not insult anyone, I will just say this...

I would never tune a 5.0 with that setup under any circumstances. In fact, I don't like remote mount systems PERIOD. There are countless reasons and you really don't need me to list them all.

I can see the lure of the cost and ease of install. But we are talking about modifying your $30k, baddest 5.0 Mustang ever built. I don't think it's a good time to pick a modification based on cost or ease install. Not with this car. I could see if it was a low cost car that you just wanted to add some 'zing' to for cheap. But I still wouldn't tune it. lol

^ This....

I'd do it on a bronco or something, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread