Rear shock install

Zevox

Established Member
Hey guys, trying to throw in part of my suspension while I'm waiting on springs and got a problem. My Viking rear shocks are crazy short.... I watched a install video and it is really easy to do but my shocks are just short and I can't seem to get them to extend. Any ideas would be helpful, my car is currently in pieces...

Zevox

Established Member
Holy cow I'm an idiot... I thought the shock pulled apart in the middle like the stock ones but the top just pulls out... some one please delete this thread to hide my shame...

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Holy cow I'm an idiot... I thought the shock pulled apart in the middle like the stock ones but the top just pulls out... some one please delete this thread to hide my shame...

Nope. We'll forever have a record of this.

Zevox

Established Member
Vote to sticky :D

Haha, thanks for caring man. After I figured it out I was done in 5 mins. Shocks are a really easy mod.

Update on my install though, the LCA relo bracket on the passenger side did not want to line the holes up. Stuck it in the vice and bent it out a little and it went on perfect. Ran out of daylight so going back at it after breakfast and hopefully I'm done fighting my car and it'll all just go in easy.

And just like you have to do every job I donated some blood and a fingernail to the car. Nothing like doing something dumb and getting hurt.

gottoast

Established Member
Haha, thanks for caring man. After I figured it out I was done in 5 mins. Shocks are a really easy mod.

Update on my install though, the LCA relo bracket on the passenger side did not want to line the holes up. Stuck it in the vice and bent it out a little and it went on perfect. Ran out of daylight so going back at it after breakfast and hopefully I'm done fighting my car and it'll all just go in easy.

And just like you have to do every job I donated some blood and a fingernail to the car. Nothing like doing something dumb and getting hurt.

Have you noticed a big difference with these shocks? I was thinking about changing out the stock ones for these...

twistid

Established Member
My driver side LCA bracket did not want to line up either, with the help of a friend I pulled the axle back while pushing the LCA bracket forward while the friend quickly stuck a screw driver into the hole, then used that to pry the LCA forward enough to slide the bolt in.

Took a little man handling but it worked out fine. I would be scared to bend up the LCA bracket to try to make it fit, unless it was WAY off.

Zevox

Established Member
That LCA relo bracket was pretty off... just a slight bend fixed it. The backside bolt pulled the bend back right so no harm done. We had to ratchet strap the rear end back forward to line the LCA's up with the holes in the relo bracket.

As far as the shocks go the ride seems like stock, my only slight complaint is you can hear the shock compressing on bumpy roads, aka my dirt driveway... I put some MT ET Street radials on at the same time and wow you want to talk about hooking. Haven't test drove much on stock pirelli's yet. Kelly at BMR talked me into them. I had thought about getting strange rears but Kelly suggested just get the Vikings so I won't ever have to upgrade again. I'm really looking forward to my drop springs!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread