Reasonable request?

TPOC

Established Member
I have had my 03 since 9/5. It is been in the dealer's service center more than in my possession (vibe, paint, pull).

Now, I have ordered the Magnaflow kit from the group buy on this forum. I should have it tomorrow. Do you think it would be a reasonable request to have the kit installed on the 03 by the dealer for free?

For my trouble that is...maybe I am reaching?

:shrug:

Any input would be great.

03DOHC

Established Member
You could try and feel the situation out. Start some small talk with your service writer, and tell him your buddy told you about these cool mufflers and what they think about putting mufflers and "stuff" on cars. If he sounds into it...well you can figure out the rest.:D

At least if the dealer puts it on you have documentation that THEY did it. I don't know if that matters much nowadays with all the Presidential perjury going unpunished and all.:??:

Last edited:

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
You could try and feel the situation out. Start some small talk with your service writer, and tell him your buddy told you about these cool mufflers and what they think about putting mufflers and "stuff" on cars. If he sounds into it...well you can figure out the rest.:D

At least if the dealer puts it on you have documentation that THEY did it. I don't know if that matters much nowadays with all the Presidential perjury going unpunished and all.:??:

I hear ya :)

Thanks for the input, everyone.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)

That was my thought... if I'm going to have it done, I'd PREFER that the dealer do it... if a dealer is willing to put it on, they should probably be willing to honor your warranty... what are they gonna say - that the parts THEY put on caused the warranty to be void?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by dmreitz
That was my thought... if I'm going to have it done, I'd PREFER that the dealer do it... if a dealer is willing to put it on, they should probably be willing to honor your warranty... what are they gonna say - that the parts THEY put on caused the warranty to be void?
Exactly.

oldcobra

Established Member
Sure. My personal decision is that I am not willing to take much warranty risk on an unproven engine and drive train so I decided to see exactly what my dealer's position would be. The car is great but the sound is pathetic compared to my 99 Cobra. So I asked the dealer to put an after market system on. Answer was we don't do that and Ford does not have an authorized after market system. I then moved to what would it do to the warranty. Just void it on the exhaust or void everything. While they were willing to commit that if an electric window went out it would be covered there were no promises made on the engine and drive train. Basically, it's a 390 HP vehicle and if you make it something else do so at your own risk. They were upfront about their position and smart enough not to open themselves up. Did I answer your question?

03DOHC

Established Member
Yes you did, thanks. That sounds exactly like the 3 dealers I have dealt with near me. Change your wiper blades and your powertrain warranty is void.

A few people have chimed in that their local dealer is a little more mod friendly than others. The three dealers local to me will void your warranty for putting anything but Ford air in your tires. It wouldn't hurt to ask, not to mention you'd find out real quick whether or not they are mod friendly.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by TPOC
I have had my 03 since 9/5. It is been in the dealer's service center more than in my possession (vibe, paint, pull).

Which dealer is it at? Have they fixed the vibe and pull yet?

bender460

Established Member
I have had lots of problems with my dealership trying to get my clutch fixed. Got fed up a week ago and orderd the Steeda cable and quadrant kit.Then talked to the owner of the place told him the sevice in his service department was poor. Well he wouldn't have any of that so they are going to install the steeda stuff for me. I know the mechanic who is going to install it otherwise I would have done it myself.

TPOC

Established Member
Re: Re: Reasonable request?

Originally posted by lifter213
Which dealer is it at? Have they fixed the vibe and pull yet?

Bankston in Frisco. I brought it in last Thursday. They told me they would need to take the car to the body shop for the paint, and it would go through the weekend before it was fixed. I have called since then, twice, and left 2 VM, no response yet.

This is the kind of response I have come to expect at Bankston. They were calling me left and right before I signed on the dotted line, now I feel like I'm being ignored.

I get the impression the service manager thinks I doubt his ability to fix the issue, which is not the case. The problem is the constant negative feedback I get from him. It seems as though everything is very 'difficult' to get things done, instead of 'I'm sorry sir, we'll get that fixed right away.'

I had to get the GM involved the last time, and immediately got a call the same day. Guess I will have to try that approach again.

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by Z06_2002
It is real easy to do yourself if you have an hour or so.

:beer:

Well, you are probably right, but I need to get some ramps and/or a jack and stands. Never had a house and garage until now, and I suppose I need to go shopping.

Haven't priced those lately. Guess I need to look if they ain't gonna do it for free. Most prices I have seen so far are ~$175 for install.

TPOC

Established Member

I think they would go for slapping it on. I'm just not sure about other mods, but they have put on a exhaust kit (not sure what type) on a silver one that was on display at the dealer before I bought mine. They also put a Cobra R wing on as well. Looked pretty damn nice.

So just maybe

bender460

Established Member
$175:eek:
That seems high, 2 hours max with a lift that should be no more than $125. But then again no sales tax here in MT;-)

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by bender460
$175:eek:
That seems high, 2 hours max with a lift that should be no more than $125. But then again no sales tax here in MT;-)

Ahh yes, you are one of the lucky ones, or do they make it up in some other tax?

:-D

Users who are viewing this thread