Rebuilt 4v Blowing Smoke. Some Input Please

CJK440

Established Member
/\ impossible for oil to get past the threads of the spark plug down into the combustion chamber huh...lol ok expert..

Well not the threads per se, it's the seat that shouldn't let anything get past on a properly seated plug, let alone enough to puddle on the piston.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Well not the threads per se, it's the seat that shouldn't let anything get past on a properly seated plug, let alone enough to puddle on the piston.

this is basically what I was saying... I put neverseize on mine..so I know there is a teeny weeny bit of room in the threads, but a properly seated and tq-ed plug should not allow anything in..or out

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
In total the motor has run for probably around an hour.

The engine should have seen load to seat the rings ASAP after initial startup, oil change, leak check, etc. A hour of idling isn't good on a fresh build.

And yes, all seals were replaced. The guides were not, however

Trashed guides will kill new seals in a hurry.

Oil WILL get past a plug to the top of the piston and puddle causing smoke issues...seen this several times,happens often on hemi style cylinder heads,anything from civics to our beloved 32v's...

:dw: No.

Agreed.

zpstang96

Established Member
The engine should have seen load to seat the rings ASAP after initial startup, oil change, leak check, etc. A hour of idling isn't good on a fresh build.

Trashed guides will kill new seals in a hurry.

:dw: No.

Agreed.

The engine was put under load by the tuner (Bill @ Mongillo Motors) once he calibrated the car for the 39 lb injectors. It still poured out smoke, so he shut it down. The car was only started by me with the 19 lb injectors just to bleed the coolant. The hour of idling is total between initial startup up until we brought it back from tuning. The rings are total seal moly rings

Guides were also inspected and the machinist said they were in factory specs. Again, I can't really vouch for that but that's what I was told.

Even then I could have done a number of things wrong, just hoping I can get to the bottom of it.

zpstang96

Established Member
I know it's been a while, but I figured I would ask for some more opinions, seeing as I now have some more info. I wasn't able to get anything more done to the car right away, as the head gasket on my Subaru had to be done before I went back to college. Came home this weekend and found this:

Leakdown test came back inconclusive, so the problem is more than likely not the piston rings. However, my father pulled the engine back out and found oil in the exhaust, as in dripping down from the exhaust ports (did NOT leak out of the head gasket and onto the outside of the engine) and straight down the headers. There was a "puddle," if you will, of oil at the bottom of the headers. There was more oil in the driver's side header than the passenger.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this all points to a cylinder head problem, right? My father was a mechanic for over 20 years and made it clear that he hasn't seen anything this severe ever. We're guessing valves, valve guides, valve seals, something along those lines? The engine is coming apart starting Tuesday most likely, so I guess we'll find out what the problem is then (I hope).

Just figured I would share and see if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks again

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You replace the valve cover grommets?? Oil WILL get past a plug to the top of the piston and puddle causing smoke issues...seen this several times,happens often on hemi style cylinder heads,anything from civics to our beloved 32v's...

How will oil get past the plug threads and into the cylinder?

zpstang96

Established Member
How will oil get past the plug threads and into the cylinder?

Grommets were replaced anyway, they've been debating this issue for a while.

Even if the guides are a little worn, the new valve seals would prevent the oil from entering them.

I wonder what the issue could be then. Anyone ever have problems with oversized valves? I'm using .5mm oversized stainless steel valves in a three angle valve job. Did I not do something right here?

zpstang96

Established Member
Update: I am looking at the engine as i type this and there is oil on top of every closed intake valve

Users who are viewing this thread