reckless Driving ticket... Rochester New Hampshire?

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Ok I thought I would ask about this here. Yesterday I was down in New Hampshire to get new exhaust put on and on my way home back to Maine I had another guy in a 11 or 12 5.0 Florida plates I think pull up next to me right after I got on the highway. He rolled his window down so I did too. He said he heard my exhaust as I was coming off the on ramp.. He asked what it was I told him Magnaflow Competition cat back. . So he said let's hear it so I slowed down to about 40 mph and then stepped on it the other guy did as well so as soon as I hit 3rd gear.. 2nd to third pull I let off the other guy kept on it for a bit. Sure enough my luck would have it I look back in my mirror and see a SUV with the lights going. So I wait till he gets up behind me and pull over..
The officer was nice he asked why I was racing and I told him I wasn't and told him what happened. He came back and wrote me for Reckless Driving and told me it was a minimum of a $500 fine and possible loss of license. Not good.. I can see to him that it would look like I was racing but a quick 40 mph roll for a matter of 2 to 3 seconds to let a guy hear my exhaust seems a little much. Any suggestions would be great. I know the obvious one don't play at all on public roads. I get that I'm 47 years old and I've learned over the years keep it at the track or road courses not on the street..
What can I say I was excited about my new exhaust and someone wanted to hear it.. I guess I had a weak moment.. lol
Bill

hdmlnium1

Established Member
A bunch of views but no comments. .
I was hoping for some replies..
Maybe the ticket I got is what I deserved. But it was just a quick second to third gear blast and I let right off.. no passing anyone or anything like that.. slowed down to make sure it was clear ahead so he could hear my exhaust under a load..
Bill

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Not sure what the speed limit is there, but if your car is like my Cobra, topping out 2nd and hitting 3rd easily puts you up close to triple digits, depending on hoe far into 3rd you were. At a minimum you were around 75-80 MPH. That, combined with the showing off, hard acceleration, plus the speed in some states is definitely recklessness.

PC03GT

Established Member
Go to court and try to fight it. Hopefully they show a little mercy and knock down the fine a little bit

d3vst8r96gt

I like to watch
Established Member
That's a cops get out of jail free card. Its basically if the cop the cop has no evidence of you breaking the law they can just toss this at you. Even if you win it costs you time and money. This is the same charge most DUIs plead down to. Ultimately you could have had it worse...... fight it but take it as a lesson.

(This should not be perceived as legal advice. My experiences are that of my own in my local jurisdiction)

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
That's a cops get out of jail free card. Its basically if the cop the cop has no evidence of you breaking the law they can just toss this at you. Even if you win it costs you time and money. This is the same charge most DUIs plead down to. Ultimately you could have had it worse...... fight it but take it as a lesson.

(This should not be perceived as legal advice. My experiences are that of my own in my local jurisdiction)

Not sure where you get your legal information at, but I would really find a new source if I were you. A Reckless Driving charge is NOT something that LEO's just throw out there. And not sure what happens in your state, but a 1st offense DUI and a Reckless Driving charge are both equal misdemeanors in most states, so going from a DUI to an RD is really pleading in down.

Thanks for your input though. Hopefully the OP won't listen to the advice you posted.

hdmlnium1

Established Member
I have a 13 GT 6 speed manual car with 373 gears. I slowed down to about 40 mph and rolled in second gear I let off as I shifted into 3rd for sure not close to triple digits as the end of 4th gear is about 115 through the traps at the dragway.. so most likely 40 to about 65 or so. No way near reckless in my opinion at least. For sure not nearly as bad as when the state cop in his Charger stopped to talk to the Rochester cop behind me on his right. Then when he left from the grass and dirt side spinning and throwing grass and dirt and rocks everywhere and on the front of my car when he cut it as he went by me on the right to get back on the highway. As I said before the Rochester cop seemed nice but that move when leaving from the State cop.. well I just leave it at that as not to bash anyone as per the rules.
40 to about 65 reckless. If you say so...
Bill..

d3vst8r96gt

I like to watch
Established Member
Not sure where you get your legal information at, but I would really find a new source if I were you. A Reckless Driving charge is NOT something that LEO's just throw out there. And not sure what happens in your state, but a 1st offense DUI and a Reckless Driving charge are both equal misdemeanors in most states, so going from a DUI to an RD is really pleading in down.

Thanks for your input though. Hopefully the OP won't listen to the advice you posted.

It differs from state to state but more often then not (all the state I have lived in) the laws are loosely written and "officer discrimination" comes into play. Like I said its NOT legal advice.

Pleading down could mean less maximum/ minimum punishment or just simply not having "driving under the influence on your record

Not here to argue.

Last edited:

Rings

Established Member
Most tickets have some form of discretion...ex your doing 64 in a 45 LEO can give you 11-20 over or even 1-10 over, every officer is different in how they handle tickets!

Call the DA of said county/city/township and see if you can work a deal via the phone! Usually if you are out of town and are willing to PAY the/a fine they will give you probation/lesser charge/something. This is a usually thing! this is ALSO discretion. That's what I have done in the past as well as told friends/family to do.

Good luck

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Thanks for ALL the great responses.
I'll call Rochester Court house this week to see if something can be worked out.
I know I shouldnt have done the quick 2nd gear pull to let the guy hear my exhaust.
I live in Maine and I love going to parts of New Hampshire as some of the veiws as well as a great ride are great.
My wife and I actually went up to the White Mountain's in North Conway today.. absolutely beautiful.
I just will have to refrain from any horseplay as I really love the State.
thanks again for all of your advice..
Bill

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Ok I thought I would ask about this here. Yesterday I was down in New Hampshire to get new exhaust put on and on my way home back to Maine I had another guy in a 11 or 12 5.0 Florida plates I think pull up next to me right after I got on the highway. He rolled his window down so I did too. He said he heard my exhaust as I was coming off the on ramp.. He asked what it was I told him Magnaflow Competition cat back. . So he said let's hear it so I slowed down to about 40 mph and then stepped on it the other guy did as well so as soon as I hit 3rd gear.. 2nd to third pull I let off the other guy kept on it for a bit. Sure enough my luck would have it I look back in my mirror and see a SUV with the lights going. So I wait till he gets up behind me and pull over..
The officer was nice he asked why I was racing and I told him I wasn't and told him what happened. He came back and wrote me for Reckless Driving and told me it was a minimum of a $500 fine and possible loss of license. Not good.. I can see to him that it would look like I was racing but a quick 40 mph roll for a matter of 2 to 3 seconds to let a guy hear my exhaust seems a little much. Any suggestions would be great. I know the obvious one don't play at all on public roads. I get that I'm 47 years old and I've learned over the years keep it at the track or road courses not on the street..
What can I say I was excited about my new exhaust and someone wanted to hear it.. I guess I had a weak moment.. lol
Bill

I am from Rochester! I work in Rochester now and live 5 mins away in Farmington so I know the area very well. Just curious where in town you where when you did this

Users who are viewing this thread