recommendation on pressure washer

Fast Willy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm just looking for recommendations on a gas pressure washer that would be great for use on cars. Also what PSI should I really be looking to stay withing for the best use of using things like a foam cannon.

zw470

Established Member
I think the important spec for foam cannons is the Gallons Per Minute (GPM) of the pressure-washer. The higher the GPM the thicker the foam.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a couple of pressure washers. A gas Karcher 13hp 4400 psi. Which is WAY too much pressure for use on auto paint. As a matter of fact you can damage paint at 1200 psi if you use the point tip. And an electric Snap-On 2200 psi. Both work great with a foamer.

But I can get away with using it by throttling the engine down and using a broad tip on the wand. Do you want a gas washer due to you being in an area with no electricity? If you do get a gas washer make sure that it has an "unloader" built into it. If the washer is pumping against a dead head when you have the lever valve closed it can burn out the pump.

One suggestion, doesn't matter if you go gas or electric is to buy it at Costco. Pressure washers have a terrible record of reliability and Costco has a lifetime warranty. So just buy whatever they have on the shelf, keep the box, instructions, and receipt and when it dies go back and get another.

Fast Willy

Established Member
The main reason I was thinking gas was simply for reliability. I've had 2 electric units both which weren't the cheapest but never seem to make it past a year. The plastic pieces would break or crack and them it would just leak every where and would never really build any good pressure.

Great heads up on the Costco thing. I will definitely be doing this.

Weslsew

Established Member
I agree gas is the way to go. I had been looking around for a cheap used one (since I'm only going to use it for a foam cannon and my small driveway) but ended up getting the cheapest one at northern tool (house brand) for $200. It is good quality and fires up on the first pull. I'd recommend it, I feel like I got a nice machine for $200.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I agree gas is the way to go. I had been looking around for a cheap used one (since I'm only going to use it for a foam cannon and my small driveway) but ended up getting the cheapest one at northern tool (house brand) for $200. It is good quality and fires up on the first pull. I'd recommend it, I feel like I got a nice machine for $200.

How does it work with the foam cannon?

Users who are viewing this thread