recommended spark plugs for whipple?.

black venom

Lthl SVT Poster
Established Member
My whipple is being installed today and I am wondering which plugs to purchase. The installation instructions states to use other plugs than stock. Whipple owners what plugs are you using?. I am going to put the 3.0 pulley on with the stock lower. Should see around 17lbs. Let me know which plugs you are using. Thanks

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
I recently went from TR6s to TR7IXs, huge difference in my setup, no lag, no bad idle (like a lot of TR6 owners), all around a great plug.

M

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
I was using the TR6, but I got tired of them going out every 1000 miles, so I swapped to a NGKBR7EF plug. Now the car idles really smooth and it doesnt die when I pull up to a stop. I also gap mine @ .32.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Maybe its my car but I have had nothing but problems with aftermarket sparc plugs, especially those ngk's, they were awful. Car always ran like crap, idled like craps, had to replace them all the time.

I finally went with good old plantium motorcraft plugs, not a single problem since, had them in for several thousands miles, still idles perfectly, no weird
issues under WOT, no wiggly dyno charts, etc. and they were app gapped at the same value so it wasnt that.

go figure, motorcraft plugs working better for a ford lol.

TEABG

Banned
NGK TR6 Iridium's, do not alter the gap. You will not find one person who will have any negative feedback on the TR6 IRIDIUM's. Go on E-Bay, they are around $50.00, the Iridium's are hard to find. DENSO= ok plug, NGK TR6 IX = best plug that is $40.00 less than DENSO's

People have negative feedback on the TR6 copper plugs not the Idirium's. I used the NGK TR7 and they were to cold of a plug for my 3.5" 14 PSI.

FOR YOU CLIMATE IN MS AND 17PSI I WOULD GO TR6 HEAT RANGE. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TEABG

Banned
BuffDigits said:
Maybe its my car but I have had nothing but problems with aftermarket sparc plugs, especially those ngk's, they were awful. Car always ran like crap, idled like craps, had to replace them all the time.

I finally went with good old plantium motorcraft plugs, not a single problem since, had them in for several thousands miles, still idles perfectly, no weird
issues under WOT, no wiggly dyno charts, etc. and they were app gapped at the same value so it wasnt that.

go figure, motorcraft plugs working better for a ford lol.

What heat range ? Our cars came with three diff heat ranges.

TEABG

Banned
ugotbit03 said:
Denso's... 17psi is right on the border line for IT22's. Id go with the IT24's anyway because if you are like me it wont stay 17psi for long!

Follow your Whipple packet you recieved. 17 PSI= IT20. This blowers are not Heaton's

TEABG

Banned
ugotbit03 said:
I got a KB, here is what RWTD says...
IT20 up to 12lb
IT22 up to 16lb
IT24 greater than 16lb
They have only tuned like 2 Cobras tho... :poke:

Whipple only made like two blowers. For a Eaton I would kind of agree. Those are some cold ranges though for that PSI. TR7 I tried out fouled out within two weeks on 14.5 PSI. He is asking about his Whipple so why is a Kenne Bell owner tuning in on two different designed blowers? There is a instructional packet that comes with the Whipple FYI. So if RWTD recommend 87 octane you would listen?

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
TEABG said:
Whipple only made like two blowers. For a Eaton I would kind of agree. Those are some cold ranges though for that PSI. TR7 I tried out fouled out within two weeks on 14.5 PSI. He is asking about his Whipple so why is a Kenne Bell owner tuning in on two different designed blowers? There is a instructional packet that comes with the Whipple FYI. So if RWTD recommend 87 octane you would listen?
Ummm a twin screw is a twin screw right? Right now I ony see 15.5-16psi with IT-24's and have no fouling problems... but RWTD tuned it so Im sure its messed up right?... I was just passing on info, sorry to ruin the Whipple party. Get over it they both do the same damn thing, Im sick of people who cant acknowledge things because they are made by somebody else...

PS I run 93 because RWTD said too... ;-)

TEABG

Banned
ugotbit03 said:
Ummm a twin screw is a twin screw right? Right now I ony see 15.5-16psi with IT-24's and have no fouling problems... but RWTD tuned it so Im sure its messed up right?... I was just passing on info, sorry to ruin the Whipple party. Get over it they both do the same damn thing, Im sick of people who cant acknowledge things because they are made by somebody else...

PS I run 93 because RWTD said too... ;-)

Kenne Bell is a 2.2 L, I am aware they make a 2.4. Whipple is a 2.3 with a larger compressor and different case design. Different blower tolerances and design does not = the same conditions. Ignorance assumes they are the same because they are both Twin Screws.

Users who are viewing this thread