Recommended Tuners

Zep

Established Member
Just recently bought an 03 Terminator. Car has been modded and tuned by the previous owner in the Pittsburgh area. Now in Central Texas the car occasionally stalls when coming to a stop. Have read many threads that suggest a new tune is in order. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

Can anyone recommend a reputable tuner in the Austin or Waco areas?

ITS STOCK

Established Member
Thats a good question, When I bought my car it was tuned at gearheads in dallas. I know houston performance is good. I dont know of any close by that have tuning capability. The car shop in killeen and sunshine tops both have dynos though, dont know about Waco.

Zep

Established Member
Hi 90gt4valve,

I noticed you're in Temple. We're in Belton! Haven't personally seen your car driving around but my son Brian may have.

We have a silver 03 Cobra Coupe. We'll have to get together sometime. Have you experienced any stalling issues?

gopher18

Established Member
Would still be better to get a tune using a Dyno with your actual car as every car's characteristics are different. What works on one car may or may not work on another car (even if they are theoritically identical).

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
The stall is an issue that the dealer fixes, but a good tune will eliminate the problem too. I'm lucky I have Bob Kurgan about 25 minutes from me.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Justin from VMP Tuning will be in Houston on May 4-5 right after FFW.
He will be doing custom tuning, tweaking existing tunes and making dyno runs on his custom dyno trailer.
He is one of the top tuners in the Southeast.
Justin has tuned my Cobra and a bunch of my friends Cobras, Mach 1s, Lightnings and GT500s all with great success.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480622

Congrats on your new Cobra and best of luck!

-

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
RWTD in mobile is where I had mine done. Car runs great just need a new clutch cause 600 hp doesn't sit to well with a stock clutch

ITS STOCK

Established Member
I personaly have had no stalling issuses with my car.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if it cures anything, or clean the maf only free things I can think of at the moment

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
The stall on decel is a fairly common issue. My car has done it however only while I had a lower pulley.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The stall is an issue that the dealer fixes, but a good tune will eliminate the problem too. I'm lucky I have Bob Kurgan about 25 minutes from me.

Yes, there is a TSB (below) for the stall fix, IF this is indeed that issue. It could also be an FRPS issue. Most aftermarket tunes have the stall-fax code in the tune.

Stall issue link and info.
http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092458

TSB 17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel".

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If your car does occasionally stall, I highly recommend that you get it fixed. This is not a safe situation and something you shouldn't live with. Imagine your car stalling getting off the freeway with cars right behind you. We've heard more than one story of someone's car stalling and almost causing a wreck.

Drrty281

Established Member
I asked a similiar question a few weeks ago. In our neck of the woods we have

Murrillo Motorsports in San Antonio

HPP in Lewisville, right out side DFW area

I also got steered towards Henderson Motorsports in New Braunsfels. Haven't heard anything about them though.

The pickings are pretty slim for Austin/ Waco area. Gotta drive a little bit.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Just recently bought an 03 Terminator. Car has been modded and tuned by the previous owner in the Pittsburgh area. Now in Central Texas the car occasionally stalls when coming to a stop. Have read many threads that suggest a new tune is in order. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

Can anyone recommend a reputable tuner in the Austin or Waco areas?

Replace your IAC and TPS and bet that fix's it.
I had same problem.
And new tune if was tuned with the bad item but if not , no need IMHO.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I had this problem on the stock tune from the factory.. went to Ford had them put the latest tune on it, solved the problem..

Zep

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. Since this car is far from stock, guess I'll contact a good tuner.

MikeW

Established Member
Replace your IAC and TPS and bet that fix's it.
I had same problem.
And new tune if was tuned with the bad item but if not , no need IMHO.

I had this problem on the stock tune from the factory.. went to Ford had them put the latest tune on it, solved the problem..

I was going to suggest cleaning the IAC and MAF before getting a tune.

I had the Stall Flash from Ford when My car was under warranty (pre-custom tune) due to the BAD Stalling. The stall flash changes your PCM code to something like HSFO and not QUD2 or one of the other standard codes (YDHO,YDH1,AMZ2 etc). However when you get a tune from a tuner these days it is most likey built on the AMZ2 PCM code which has the correction for the stall built into it already.

Good luck and congrats on getting the '03 :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread