Red Light Cameras.

SVT04

Established Member
A while back there was some talk here regarding red light cameras and how to avoid being ticketed.

I spoke up about how the cameras were mainly for revenue generation and how they lead to increases in rear end collisions from drivers trying to "panic stop" to avoid a ticket. I maintained that the cameras had little to do with safety and I still maintain that position.

I was chastised here by many self righteous types who called me stupid, sent me personal messages claiming that "you are just a dumb Canadian etc."
All trying to tell me how wrong I was....

Well seems I wasn't so wrong after all....they were even adjusting the timing shorter than the time needed to safely clear an intersection (amber light dwell time) to increase revenue.

Here is the link ..http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-monkey-business-may-be-a-national-trend.html

And here is what the article says about Lubbock TX

In Lubbock, city council members eventually deployed red light cameras in the summer of 2007 after completing a series of timing tests at all twelve of the intersections scheduled to receive the cameras. As of February, 2008, however, the cameras are came back down. While the cameras were initially credited with reducing the total number of crashes in Lubbock by 5.5 percent, rear-end crashes at the intersections in question rose 90 percent. The cameras also failed to generate sufficient revenue while they were deployed in Lubbock, which undoubtedly contributed to the city's decision to can the program.

Last edited:

nik96

Established Member
I agree with you 100% Read this... http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1851.asp

"Despite the results, city council members declared the trial a success and voted to continue the program. Camera vendor ATS was able to issue 5044 citations worth $706,160. About one-half of all citations issued were given to motorists making right-hand turns on red."

^ An increase in the number of accidents = success? $700K/year = success.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Two stories...

1) Many red light camera intersections in Houston have amber light times below the legal limit. Complaints were filed and ignored.

2) Dallas officials have decided to do away with red light cameras at many intersections because the number of people running lights decreased almost 90% and the cameras were no longer generating revenue.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
The cameras are BS. If you are going to catch me, then catch me face to face. Im tired of all this big brother bull.

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
I've been in law enforcement for fifteen years and think these cameras blow. But I also can't stand the distorted clear plate covers people are buying.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Those lights are ONLY about money. In Charlotte NC the agreement for having both red light and speed cameras was that all the money would go to the school system. After about 2 years someone spoke up because the city was using the money for buying new cameras, camera maintenance, and other projects. A court ruled the city had to give all money from the cameras to the schools and with in a month all the cameras were turned off. That made it clear to me they were not for safety, they were for money and nothing more.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
I find myself hyper stopping at them sometimes and wonder about the guy behind me without Cobra brakes.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've been in law enforcement for fifteen years and think these cameras blow. But I also can't stand the distorted clear plate covers people are buying.

Are they distorted, or are they clear. They can't be both at the same time. I'd like to know what the problem is with CLEAR license plate covers. Hell, cops should be in favor of them since they keep plates from getting dingy, and hard to read.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Are they distorted, or are they clear. They can't be both at the same time. I'd like to know what the problem is with CLEAR license plate covers. Hell, cops should be in favor of them since they keep plates from getting dingy, and hard to read.

He is stating that the non-tinted plastic plate covers (a.k.a. clear) distort the image of the plate. While they keep the plate from getting dirty, the cover gets dirty instead and thus just creates another layer to read through.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
One more story...I'll just copy it over. Backstory: They installed 4-5 red light cameras in College Station 1-2 months ago.

Intersection of George Bush and Bizzell: Light turns yellow as person in front of me enters intersection. They panic and hit brakes...WTF?! They finally end their panic stop 3/4 of the way through the intersection, and I hit them. I guess they had heard about the red light cameras.....so much for increasing safety. :evil: I can't swerve so I hit them in the rear. It was a janitor for A&M that barely spoke english...I honestly believe she had heard about the red light cameras, and when it turned yellow AS SHE WAS IN THE INTERSECTION she freaked out and tried to stop....

03-25-08_1258.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
He is stating that the non-tinted plastic plate covers (a.k.a. clear) distort the image of the plate. While they keep the plate from getting dirty, the cover gets dirty instead and thus just creates another layer to read through.

The only time they distort the image of the plate is from very shallow angles when you're looking through the curve of the plastic. You aren't going to get a good look at the plate from those angles anyhow.

And I can see what you're saying about the dirt creating another layer. But then, it seems to me that most people who take the time to put license plate covers on their cars to keep the plates clean are also willing to take the time to clean the covers.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I spoke up about how the cameras were mainly for revenue generation and how they lead to increases in rear end collisions from drivers trying to "panic stop" to avoid a ticket. I maintained that the cameras had little to do with safety and I still maintain that position.

I agree with you as well.

I had argued this point before in these forums and most people agreed as well. There was one LEO who didn't though and said my claims were unsubstantiated even though I provided documented proof.

It's well known that red light cameras are for revenue only. Why else would they reduce the yellow light times? Why else would they remove the cameras after they discover they're not raking in enough dough?

Absolutely nothing to do with safety.

Users who are viewing this thread