Red Line tuning hood shock people.....

jeffsvt

Established Member
To all those who have the hood shocks from redline tuning just might want to let you all know watch for the shock locking up . Mine did on one side of the hood and completly ripped away from it . I did not know it locked up , it opened fine and then went to close it and bam ! Now I have 2 nice holes on the underside of my hood .

EatonMe

Ah, I see I'm not the only one. On the driver side of the hood I had two nice sized holes where mind ripped through the fiberglass.

Only had the kit on for about 2 weeks, then it was back to the pimpin' hood prop.

EatonMe

DSC00256.jpg

Don't mind the dirt/gunk/bug remains/water stains in that pictures. That was after a 4,000, or so, mile road trip.

EatonMe

Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
My question is what is redline tuning doing about it? Did you contact them?

I don't know about Jeff, but I didn't. I just took the kit off, and was done with it.

jeffsvt

Established Member
I contacted them and have yet to hear anything back from them . I'll let everyone know what they say when I get a reply from them .

I just wanted to make a post for those people with them to watch out .

jeffsvt

Established Member
Well I got a reply from them and this is what it says .

Hello Jeff,

Please write us back with your full address and purchase date. We will send you a replacement.

Thanks,
Brian
Redline Tuning

I guess thats good customer service ! Even answering e-mails on a holiday !

EatonMe

Originally posted by jeffsvt
Well I got a reply from them and this is what it says .

Hello Jeff,

Please write us back with your full address and purchase date. We will send you a replacement.

Thanks,
Brian
Redline Tuning

I guess thats good customer service ! Even answering e-mails on a holiday !

What about the holes in your $900+ hood?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I sure hope they mean a replacement hood. F*ck the $60 hood shocks!!!

I will watch mine closely. Thank you for posting this and making us aware.

jeffsvt

Established Member
Well I had to put the holes there to mount them . But I know I won't be putting them back on I guess I'll stick with the good old hood prop .

The holes look exactly like the picture Josh posted I guess it's an eye sore I'll just have to live with .

Last edited:

maoun

Established Member
i had the same exact thing happen to my hood

i definitely want to hear what they say....keep me posted, please!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Everytime I dyno I'm going to hold my hood steady. The last thing I need is a big ass fan blowing and having the rivets pull right out and the hood flying back smacking my windshield!

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
For now, I would go to the autoparts store and get some xmas tree clips for interior panels to cover them holes for now..

Rick

vipergts281

Established Member
That is why I "guide" my hood up.....so something like that won't happen.

Sorry to hear that some of your hoods got damaged. Hopefully mine won't.

If you think about it, it would make sense for the rivet to pop out if the hood was allowed to be opened with enough force. I don't trust the fiberglass.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I have had my shocks on for a few months and I have had no problems like described here. You ARE NOT supposed to let the hood open on its own...you need to guide it up until its open. because the hood is not designed for the shocks. The only problem I have is that one of my shocks squeels on the way up, I contacted red line, and the offered to replace the shock for free.

jeffsvt

Established Member
Ok just for some insight I do guide the hood up I don't let it open by itself , I did read the instructions provided with the kit . It happened when I went to close it a little to much force and it popped out . The shock some how locked up I don't now how when it was fully extended .

RickSvt: Thanks for the advice I might try that or even fill in the holes .

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by dgussin1
You ARE NOT supposed to let the hood open on its own...you need to guide it up until its open. because the hood is not designed for the shocks.
Agree.....I'm very gentle with my hood and have still had the rivets pop out on one side. Major bummer.......I put a lot of time into painting and clear coating the hardware (bolts and rivets included!). It's a neat looking mod, but you need to do a great job with the rivet gun and be gentle when raising and lowering (is this even possible?!) your hood because........the hood isn't really designed for this!

Users who are viewing this thread