Releasing Belt Tensioner w/ Whipple/TVS

StangLoveR

Established Member
Well, I'm swapping pulleys on my 2.3L Whipple'd 5.0 and surprisingly I'm having a heck of a time getting to the belt tensioner 17mm bolt to release it. I don't at all remember having this problem when I installed the blower and first put on the belt...it might be because of less room with the different radiator, etc. etc.

That being said, it seems like the darn bracket itself is just in the way enough to stop me from getting a socket square on the tensioner. I then tried using a u-joint/wobbler but with that whole assembly on there it still ends up being undoable. And this is despite unbolting the radiator/intercooler reservoirs to gain a bit of extra room.

What an annoying little problem! Anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks for reading!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It pops off in about two seconds, just gotta go about it the right way. Standard combination wrench, reach down in front of the water pump and put the open end on there so the wrench is about parallel to the ground. Give it a push, voila.

StangLoveR

Established Member
Well that was a massive pain. But I figured it out. I tried your tip, but a) I almost put a hole through my hand and maybe I'm just a baby; and b) I didn't have enough throw because of the oil cooler.

So, I scratched my head/ass for a while and realized a short extension and a massive 1/2 ratchet I had might do the trick, and sure enough it just fit and I had JUST enough throw.

Guess it could be worse...my vortech setup on my 2v was 10 times the nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread