Reliability issues with 2012-up automatics?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
A friend needs to replace his car, and is thinking about late-model Focus SE, Titanium, or ST. But he needs reliability. I told him my '02 and my wife's '05 have been great for over a decade. But he has heard there are some transmission issues with the 2012-up automatics.

Can anyone report if there are issues, and if they should be considered serious enough to factor into what could otherwise be a great car? He is assuming the manuals are not an issue, but wants to know if he has the option of an auto.

Thanks,

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
yes the auto in the regular focus has been horribly plagued with problems. The ST is the only option honestly in that lineup.

Swetrid

Established Member
Ford has extended warranty coverage on the 2011-2014 Focus automatic transmissions due to reliability issues.

jonb347

Established Member
not really an issue if you drive through it. Im a tech. work on them all the time. in general they are great cars.

the first issues were from the rear engine seal leaking oil into the clutch packs. its basically a manual trans with an automatic shifting clutch. so think about like if your clutch gets packed full of oil.

then the replacement clutches started having issues. its not a transmission problem, its a clutch problem. and ford extended the warranty to 100k on the thing for piece of mind.

another problem is that people don't realize how to drive them. us americans aren't used to this type of transmission and we aren't tolerant to it. people feel the way it shifts a little different and let off the gas. this screws everything up due to adaptive learning. once you learn to push through it and drive it its fine.

for example, our rental is a 2013 with like 30k on it. we beat it all the time. its fine. the only ones with issues are the early ones and the ones where people don't drive through the shift. pm me with any questions. i have some pix i can send you of the inside if you'd like

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
not really an issue if you drive through it. Im a tech. work on them all the time. in general they are great cars.

the first issues were from the rear engine seal leaking oil into the clutch packs. its basically a manual trans with an automatic shifting clutch. so think about like if your clutch gets packed full of oil.

then the replacement clutches started having issues. its not a transmission problem, its a clutch problem. and ford extended the warranty to 100k on the thing for piece of mind.

another problem is that people don't realize how to drive them. us americans aren't used to this type of transmission and we aren't tolerant to it. people feel the way it shifts a little different and let off the gas. this screws everything up due to adaptive learning. once you learn to push through it and drive it its fine.

for example, our rental is a 2013 with like 30k on it. we beat it all the time. its fine. the only ones with issues are the early ones and the ones where people don't drive through the shift. pm me with any questions. i have some pix i can send you of the inside if you'd like

So your a tech and your only fix is to drive through it? Not a good fix. How about they make an update for the auto pcm to fix it. That sounds like a better fix than to blame thousands of customers makeing it there fault

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for all the answers, Guys.

My friend bit the bullet (financially speaking) and picked up an ST.
That's 5 friends now with ST's. My SVT is feeling a bit old.....

st.jpg

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Thanks for all the answers, Guys.

My friend bit the bullet (financially speaking) and picked up an ST.
That's 5 friends now with ST's. My SVT is feeling a bit old.....

View attachment 32526
Im going tomorrow to drive a new st3.. The 15 model still isn't out but I'm not 100% I care enough to wait. We'll see. At this point the last sporty car I drove was my cobra, and I'm over being fast. I just want good mpg yet fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread