Reminder:check your axle nut's tightness

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Had an issue yesterday on the freeway. Going WOT the rear of the car began to sway side to side and was a little scary to say the least. Felt like I was losing traction but I knew that it was not a possibility. Did some research on some past threads and came to the conclusion that it was the wheel bearing or the axle nut.

Called my local Ford dealership and they quoted me $330 to change the wheel bearing. I also asked about the price of an axle nut which turned out to be $9. I purchased the new axle nut first before taking my car to the dealership.

Jacked the car up, took the wheel off, and was prepared to use a lot of strength to get the old nut off. Nope....there was hardly any muscle involved to turn the old nut which was very surprising. That sucker was loose! I put on the new axle nut with some red loctite and torqed that thing down. Took it for a spin, went WOT a few times and no wobble!

Bruce from FullTiltBoogieRacing recommends checking the axle nuts with every oil change--which I had no idea of. Just a heads up brothers. :beer:

svt99rag

Established Member
I had one come loose a few years ago, I wasn't feeling anything just found it when working on the car.

VtekII

Established Member
im going to check mine once i swap out my wheels this spring, thanks for the reminder... glad your situation didnt turn out disastorous

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
It could have been real disasterous--for my pocketbook too :lol:. Replacing the bearing would have prevented me from getting some NT05r's. I was definitely fortunate to catch it soon. Driving the Cobra with a loose axle nut would have led to wheel bearing failure, damaged hub, etc.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Had mine come loose 2 days after my local Ford dealership replaced the Axle bearing...Hmmm wonder how that happened. Probably some idiot forgot to torque it down.:beer:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I just drop my center section for a gear swap and def made sure to torque them. i'll make sure to check them often now.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yup i ruined my right side bearing after driving for a while on a loosened axle nut

good idea to keep an eye on it regularly :thumbsup:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you need a big ass socket for this nut - it is 35 or 36mm iirc

i went and bought a 3/4 drive torque wrench specifically for this job

Last edited:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
How many miles on your car; and have you or anyone else ever taken that nut off in the past?

Only has 13k miles and not sure if the previous owner ever took it off. I purchased it from him about year ago when it had 9k miles. Im sure it coming loose has something to do with wheel hop backing the nut off and Im thinking there was a TSB about it in 2006 if I remember correctly.

The nut is 36mm..I rented the socket from AutoZone for $20.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
its like 250 lb/ft! oh yeah its no joke lol

i am sure somebody will post up the actual specs (sorry too busy at work right now)

VtekII

Established Member
Only has 13k miles and not sure if the previous owner ever took it off. I purchased it from him about year ago when it had 9k miles. Im sure it coming loose has something to do with wheel hop backing the nut off and Im thinking there was a TSB about it in 2006 if I remember correctly.

The nut is 36mm..I rented the socket from AutoZone for $20.

you rented it for 20 bux? at oriellys they sell that socket for $ 14. just had to get one to put a new hub on my brothers ram.

Users who are viewing this thread