Renting a vehicle for vacation

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
First I should start off saying I am pretty cheap in general lol.
But renting a vehicle for a week, what $800 for the week never made sense to me when that easily covers my car payment for a month. We are talking 1,000 miles ea way. So I understand wear & tear.
Anyway give me your opinions and tell me why i'm wrong haha.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Costco is you can and want standard car rental.
Turo if you want something unique for the same price or less.
My experience.
-J

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Renting does have some advantages, especially if you only have small cars or unreliable cars. We rented a 10 passenger van once so that we only had to take one vehicle to Chicago. At $30 a night to park, it damn near payed for itself.

josephcostello

Established Member
Im a AAA member and found the best deal booking through them. I'm paying $420 for 7 days driving an intermediate SUV in Austin TX this coming week. Expedia seemed the next best option when comparing rates as well.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Check local dealerships. My dealer has a rental fleet of new Hondas we will rent to anyone (you don’t have to service your vehicle with us). They start at $35 a day for sedans, and $55 including tax for pilots, ridgeline, odysseys passports. These vehicles are sold and replaced between 5-10k miles so when renting is you’re always getting something that’s almost brand new.

No insurance to buy, no fees, no mileage limits.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last year we went to rent a Suburban for 10 days. They wanted over $450 per day for a grand total of almost $5K by the time taxes and such were added. We said screw that and bought a 2019 Suburban instead. We have the kids come out every summer and need a bigger vehicle to haul everyone in and figured it was cheaper to buy than it was to rent in the long run.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
We've rented Grand Caravans several times for traveling. Great way to travel. Longest was back and forth to El Paso, ~3,000 miles.
That was several years ago, ~$800 for the week.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven’t priced rentals in forever but the location you rent from can make a huge difference. I had a 10 day trip renting a car out of Denver - taking a cab across town to a rental office vs getting it from the Denver airport location saved over $500. Might be worthwhile to call some different locations, I know rental prices went sky high

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
For me it's all about distance. I used to drive everywhere. Now my lower back is not as strong as it used to be.

I live in El Paso. So, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, Albuquerque all equal driving my vehicle. East coast such as Florida, DC or New York equaling flying and renting a car. Just have to look for the best airfare and rental car deal, but I'm not driving that damn far. Rental car cost be damned LMAO!!!

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We rented an escalade for a family mini-vacation. We drove from Joliet to Virginia. I had a work meeting in Virginia so after meeting we took some time off.

Had the wife, daughter, and three dogs.

We destroyed the inside of that thing. lol. Dog puke. Dog diarrhea. Dog hair. Sand. Dirt. Mud. You name it.

Glad it wasn't ours. We ended up getting hit with a $250 cleaning bill afterwards.

For us, with our dogs, and having an adventure, it was worth it. Didn't have to worry about sowing my own car up.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Rental cars used to be cheap, like half to a quarter of the prices of what they are now.

Shop around, but remember the cheapest isn't always the best way to go. We used Fox one time and with all the fees it ended up being the same as Enterprise, which we use pretty much all of the time now.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
We rented an escalade for a family mini-vacation. We drove from Joliet to Virginia. I had a work meeting in Virginia so after meeting we took some time off.

We destroyed the inside of that thing. lol. Dog puke. Dog diarrhea. Dog hair. Sand. Dirt. Mud. You name it.

Glad it wasn't ours. We ended up getting hit with a $250 cleaning bill afterwards.

For us, with our dogs, and having an adventure, it was worth it. Didn't have to worry about sowing my own car up.
Please don't ever invite me on a vacation with you. lol

Hak5.0

Established Member

Forget vacation...don't invite them over your house...it not our house, shit on everything!!!

Bronze123

Established Member
Wear and tear is a big advantage. Also have possible theft, vandalism or damage. It would be such a pain in the to deal with that on a personal car when out of state. With a rental, exchange at a nearest location and let them deal with it. You’re back up and running with little down time

I did a vacation to Myrtle beach in 2019. Within an hour my wife managed to hit a wall in an underground parking. I laughed the rest of the trip. We purchase their protection and I never was bugged after. No deductible, no insurance premium increase . Hell, they screwed up checking me in and I got a tank of gas for next to nothing.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was comical at some points. The only thing you could do is laugh as our senior dog got car sick through the mountains and began his best interruption of the Exorcist in the back seat. Just smile and laugh. And try not to breath for fear of hosing the windshield. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread