Replacement Clutch w/ no chatter?

Addicted2Fun

Established Member
Is there one out there? If so what is it? FOR A DAILY DRIVER

I cant stand weird noises, vibrating, chattering (i have a ford i know), but my cobra has none of these (yes i feel blessed). BUT, i dont want to get a clutch that is gonna be the first if you know what i mean. I have read up on the spec 3+ but not really liking the on/off approach.

I need something with AWESOME street manners and something that i shouldnt need a damn ice pack on my leg after rush hour traffic (if you catch my drift).

I appreciate the help!

**UPDATE**

I have all the pieces for the clutch swap, its going in 2morrow. I will report the feel of the clutch in the afternoon! *wish me luck!*

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Is there one out there? If so what is it? FOR A DAILY DRIVER

I cant stand weird noises, vibrating, chattering (i have a ford i know), but my cobra has none of these (yes i feel blessed). BUT, i dont want to get a clutch that is gonna be the first if you know what i mean. I have read up on the spec 3+ but not really liking the on/off approach.

I need something with AWESOME street manners and something that i shouldnt need a damn ice pack on my leg after rush hour traffic (if you catch my drift).

I appreciate the help!

Go to lethal and pick the most expensive twin disc clutch. That's about all I can tell you because it sounds like to me you wont be pleased with anything anyone offers you and you'll pick it apart.
With that attitude you wont find any clutch that will work well for you since all the big power clutches have some type of draw back unless you drop 1200+ on a clutch.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree...my stocker is perfect other than it slipps with my 560HP, lol...
Spec 3+ is sitting in my room, waiting to be put in...

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
my spec 3 chatters something terrible but its a sacrifice you have to make to hold up to the power. Like everyone else says your best bet is to stick with OEM

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i really like this ram powergrip (non-hd) and will be getting another one when it wears out. can be slipped nicely and only chatters on very rare occasions

stangliter04

Established Member
Previous owner of my car said mine has a centerforce dfx and it has been great. No chatter and it hold my 589 hp well. It is kind of stiff though.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Centerforce Dual Friction (not the DFX), it has better driveability than the stocker and a way lighter pedal. Seemed to hold up on my last 600 RWHP Cobra, although it saw very little track duty.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
+1 for Center Force DF, I also have a steel flywheel, that did more to eliminate my clutch chatter than anything IMO.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I had the same situation...Reg. Bolt-ons and it was clutch time I went with the new:
Exedy Mach 500 system, and Exedy Billet Flywheel, Ford T/O and Pilot Bearing. They have 4 versions: 400,500,600,700 depending on your set-up. Easier on the leg, NO Chatter and basically no break in issues. Much cheaper than a twin disx system and it clamps hard when you need it too. Check it out...

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Spec 2+ for the win!!

I have one in my fox with around 600 at the fly, Its been in there for 3 years for about 20k of street driving, auto-x, drag with slicks, and road racing. When I drive my fox its never for a "gentle cruise"

The 2+ in my wife's car has been subjected to the same but 40k of daily driving in her Cobra when it was N/A. Clutch was only about 40% gone so we re-used it with our 03 swap. Its ready to rock. Super easy pedal pressure and works great. We plan on our 01' to make around 475ish rwhp this spring.

Then we put another 2+ in my dad's 05 Roush with 450rwhp. So far so good.

No chattering in any of the 3 of them. Awesome clutches and I'll be sticking with 2+'s for a long time.

Last edited:

eaglesnick

Established Member
Spec 2+ for the win!!

I have one in my fox with around 600 at the fly, Its been in there for 3 years for about 20k of street driving, auto-x, drag with slicks, and road racing. When I drive my fox its never for a "gentle cruise"

The 2+ in my wife's car has been subjected to the same but 40k of daily driving in her Cobra when it was N/A. Clutch was only about 40% gone so we re-used it with our 03 swap. Its ready to rock. Super easy pedal pressure and works great. We plan on our 01' to make around 475ish rwhp this spring.

Then we put another 2+ in my dad's 05 Roush with 450rwhp. So far so good.

No chattering in any of the 3 of them. Awesome clutches and I'll be sticking with 2+'s for a long time.

+1 on the Spec 2+, I have had it in my 675 rwhp vert with no issues and very very streetable,

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I'm already loving my Spec 3+ and have only put 17 miles on it. Pedal feel is light and it doesn't chatter bad at all, compared to some of the stories I've read. So far so good. I really think it all depends how they are installed.

justice

Established Member
I'm already loving my Spec 3+ and have only put 17 miles on it. Pedal feel is light and it doesn't chatter bad at all, compared to some of the stories I've read. So far so good. I really think it all depends how they are installed.

Did you use the "low pedal pressure option"?

justice

Users who are viewing this thread