Replacement shocks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Bilsteins ARE re-buildable. Maximum Motorports used to re-valve them, but not sure if they still do. The entire center section of the struts can be removed and sent it - definitely cheaper than buying new. But then again, some of you guys seem to love blowing your cash.

Here's a look into Bilstien struts that I re-housed for a lot less than buying new...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/730644-different-look-bilstein-strut.html

Adding to that, the convertible models have struts/shocks with "softer" valving than coupes since the spring rates are different. The vert uses 500#/in front springs and 470#/in rear springs whereas the coupe has 600#/in springs at all four corners.

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Ya I like my stance but wish it was just a tad lower. Problem is driveways and speed bumps here in town. I rarely scrape now but any lower and I know I will. An aftermarket spring will allow me to lower it more but Ive ridden in Cobras with H&Rs and that is not what I want at all. Too hard of a ride for me. Bouncy on uneven roads. I can rub the rear tires on the rear fenders through dips so I cant cut anymore. The stock springs are too soft but thats giving me the ride quality I like

I may eventually look into coilovers. Why cant I have the Lexus luxury in a Cobra? :rolling:

You can! Call up KW suspension and drop $2500 on their Variant 3 setup! Rides super awesome from what I've heard and then also handles on rails! Plus full adjustability of the ride height on all 4 corners.

OP,
Stock Bilsteins are winners. They came stock with all the z71s from 88-98 years. Great shocks!

wuh?!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Adding to that, the convertible models have struts/shocks with "softer" valving than coupes since the spring rates are different. The vert uses 500#/in front springs and 470#/in rear springs whereas the coupe has 600#/in springs at all four corners.

there is a ton of bad info regarding the coupe versus conv spring/strut valving...and this is correct. most people think (and argue) that they are identical valving for both, and just looking at those factory spring rates you can see why that is hogwash. ford engineers are smarter than that. if you cut linear factory vert springs...you might get away without upgrading the weaksauce factory bilsteins.....if you go progressive springs with higher rates, you had better allow some money for HD bilstein upgrades. Otherwise it's going to ride and handles like SHEEET. Some people claim "it rides fine"...but i say bullcrap :kaboom: ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread