replacement tires for PP vehicles

grabber08

Established Member
Is anyone running a different size other than the 265/40/19's on the front of their 2011-12 GT500 w/pp option. Dont like not being able to drive vehicle on beautiful days with temp around 40 degrees.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Why can't you drive under 40 F? I do all the time. You need to make sure your tires get warm but once they do I have absolutely no problems.

grabber08

Established Member
Ihave seen pictures where these tires have the tread split in places where they have been driven in temps that low. Also the sticker on the door jam says tires not recommended in temps that low.

megameGT500

Established Member
I haven't noticed any indication of tread split anywhere. I have averaged removal of the wheels once a month to clean, switch out pads etc... but I would imagine living in OK is a little different than NC.

I have slipped once and that was pulling out of a wet lot onto dry pavement and I kissed the curb. Temp was in the high 50's F and the tires were cold. Had to file a claim for a new rear wheel and tire but that was on me not paying attention to the curb and wet/dry conditions. But I have had absolutely no problems in below 40 F weather. The manufacturer always leans towards safety and I definitely don't light them up in the cold. But I see your point. I am going to watch this thread to see if there are tire options out there. Thanks.

grabber08

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the curb!! The F1-G2 tires are expensive also. Just saying...

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run Nitto Invo's on the front 275/35/19 and 315/35/20 on the back.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
There are several threads on winter/cold weather tires for the SVTPP. Bottom line, stock G2's are not recommended to be driven on below 40 deg f. It's in the manual. Goodyear put out a warning about tire cracks with pictures. They have no traction below 40 deg. The owner's manual says to do what I did- get a spare set of wheels and all seasons for winter use. The G2's actually work well when warm.

grabber08

Established Member
Do you have any clearance problems with the nitto's? I like the svtpp wheels. Don't really want to switch back and forth. Only drive my car when it is really nice outside. No rain, salt, sand, or snow.

megameGT500

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the curb!! The F1-G2 tires are expensive also. Just saying...

Yea and if remember correctly 15K mile life expectancy. Please, someone tell me I am wrong. I'm not proud.
Fortunately, I live like a mile from the Goodyear plant that makes the tire and all my neighbors work for Goodyear so I usually snag the coupons they get and saves us quite a few bucks.

Last edited:

megameGT500

Established Member
There are several threads on winter/cold weather tires for the SVTPP. Bottom line, stock G2's are not recommended to be driven on below 40 deg f. It's in the manual. Goodyear put out a warning about tire cracks with pictures. They have no traction below 40 deg. The owner's manual says to do what I did- get a spare set of wheels and all seasons for winter use. The G2's actually work well when warm.

That's what they put out but there's quite a bit of a fudge factor involved. Like I mentioned earlier, almost all of my neighbors work for the Goodyear plant that makes these tires and we've discussed this many times. No issue here. Plus, considering where I live 40 F really isn't a huge factor.

Also, as mentioned, driving in the snow with these shoes is like walking barefoot in the snow, not going to have good results.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Do you have any clearance problems with the nitto's? I like the svtpp wheels. Don't really want to switch back and forth. Only drive my car when it is really nice outside. No rain, salt, sand, or snow.

If that's the case, and it's 40- just use your stock tires.

I drive in everything but snow. Rain. 17 degree mornings. Doesn't matter. That's why I got the all season Michelins. It's a mustang, not a Lamborghini. But if you are a nice day driver- just be careful in the cold and realize you don't have the same traction you do on an 80 degree day. I wouldn't sweat it.

grabber08

Established Member
Yep its a Mustang. Something that I for one am proud to own. It has saved Ford more than once and the people that follow it are numerous. I am truly thankful its not a Lamborghini. But I can get close to the performance for a fraction of the cost of one.

Users who are viewing this thread