Replacing my house carpet, clueless

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Having my first baby at the end of June. I've decided its time to replace the carpet in the house. I went to a home depot (180 miles away) as well as my local carpet dealer (small Kansas town) and the locals prices are really high, just about double for comparable carpet.
My wife and I are going to Denver to check out lowes, home depot, carpet exchange and a couple of other places for some price shopping this next Saturday.
I would like a nice cushy carpet, but don't want to smoke 45.00 a yard like the local guy wants, but something better than the 1.00 sq foot stuff I've seen. We don't plan on living in the house but for the next couple years but would like it to be nice while we are here, and last if we do end up staying longer.(anything is better than what we have now)
Is there a disadvantage to the home depot/lowes carpet?? Is there anything that a guy doesn't want? I've never done ANYTHING with household carpeting before so I am totally clueless. Any carpet layers or anyone recently done some carpet work? Any help/input would be greatly appreciated..

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Its all about the pad. Look into Shaw carpet. American made and quality carpet can be had for 18-23 a yard. Through Lowes you should even be able to redeem one of there 10% off coupons.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Its all about the pad. Look into Shaw carpet. American made and quality carpet can be had for 18-23 a yard. Through Lowes you should even be able to redeem one of there 10% off coupons.

This. A high quality underlayment will make any carpeting seem like high end. We went with a medium grade carpetting ten years ago, but opted for 8lb padding, and still looks and feels great to this day.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
i got my carpet for my family room/toy room at lowes...it was like 3.15 sq ft. We got the most expensive stainmaster pad. It is awesome. 730 sq ft area.

hb712

Established Member
If they have a good flooring associate at any of the stores, you'll be fine. Find a carpet that you like (they carry a variety, from cheap to very nice) in terms of touch, warranty, etc... and then make sure you get the right underlayment , as others have said.

In terms of the installation, I know HD uses independent contractors to do many of their installs. They actually have to perform under fairly rigorous standards, so you can take comfort in that.

Finally, congrats. My first is coming in September, so I can empathize somewhat with the desire to make sure the house is in the best possible shape.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Being as far away from the home depot the mileage to my place kinda sinks the HD installation, we do have some local guys that I trust for laying it.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
We just installed Mohawk Silk strand carpet in our bedrooms with an 8lb pad. Couldn't be happier.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
The pad is important.
But DO NOT overlook the actual carpet material. Get Nylon vs. Polyester.
Nylon will last alot longer. It's a little more money but you will be sorry with poly.
Poly out of the gate looks great, but it mats down too easy and looks like crap soon there after.
Good luck

ctubbs

Established Member
I'm a independent flooring installer for lowes. Have been for years, they have the same carpet as everyone else. They usually have install specials for $99 for a whole house of carpet or sometimes they will run specials for stainmaster and give free installs. You will get a better install if you go with lowes or Home Depot. We all have to pass strict background checks every 2 years, and carry tons of insurance to protect you and us. Plus we gets lots of training and certifactions. Smaller carpet stores just require you to have a pulse to install for them and don't give any warranty on labor.

rightushook

Hugh Jazz
Established Member
I'd say go lowes, I work there and and mom works in Installed sales. They make sure everything is right before its done. If something is screwed up (material or install) they will fix it. You get follow ups to check up aswell should something be wrong.

Sapperstang

Established Member
In terms of the installation, I know HD uses independent contractors to do many of their installs. They actually have to perform under fairly rigorous standards, so you can take comfort in that.

So do Lowes' contractors but you wouldn't believe the stuff those contractors jack up.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
180 miles away, I'm assuming that's round trip, man where do you live? Kids tear the hell out of carpets, I'd be looking for good berber carpet with upgraded padding. Berber wears better IMO, regular carpet looks like it needs vacuuming everyday.

ThomasSVT

Established Member
Speaking from experience, I would limit the carpet and go with hardwood or other types of flooring.

Kids tend to drop food, juice (other liquids) and everything else on the floor.

Cleaning up tile or wood flooring is a lot easier than trying to clean up a fouled carpet.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we just went through this. ripped out ALL the carpet in the house. we had wood floors under neath throughout almost the whole house. had that all refinished up real nice.

my gf was adament about having hardwood floors over carpet. she said its muuuuch cleaner and easier to maintain for a little one crawling around. with carpet, you can never really pick up anything and liquids can be a paint to clean up. with hardwood floors you can just wipe it up and swiffer the whole house.

for the one room we had no hardwood floor in we put in laminate. super cheap and super easy to do DIY. just need a table saw or miter saw with a good blade. and basic tools.

The closet Home Depot is 180 miles away? Dear GOD shoot me if I have to live some where that far away from stuff. Weave some out of Corn husks.

:lol:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
we just went through this. ripped out ALL the carpet in the house. we had wood floors under neath throughout almost the whole house. had that all refinished up real nice.

my gf was adament about having hardwood floors over carpet. she said its muuuuch cleaner and easier to maintain for a little one crawling around. with carpet, you can never really pick up anything and liquids can be a paint to clean up. with hardwood floors you can just wipe it up and swiffer the whole house.

for the one room we had no hardwood floor in we put in laminate. super cheap and super easy to do DIY. just need a table saw or miter saw with a good blade. and basic tools.

This... our entire upstairs is hardwood with the exception of the bedroom. We are doing it in a nice laminate in the next week or two, whenever the flooring shows up. So much easier to keep clean over carpet. After seeing the amount of dirt and dust that a vacuum pulls out of carpet week after week, I wouldn't have anything else.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
The closet Home Depot is 180 miles away? Dear GOD shoot me if I have to live some where that far away from stuff. Weave some out of Corn husks.

135 miles from hays ks, and 180 from Denver co. Denver obviously has more stuff of every sort there, one way. So on this project the direction we are going this trip.

Tmatt142

Established Member
+1 for hardwoods with kids. But, if you're still insistent on carpet, then as mentioned before, padding is important but also so is the material the carpet is made from. We redid our basement last year and went with a new carpet made from recycled plastic bottles. Not sure if it's Mohawk or another brand but with it comes a life time stain warranty. This is a shorter carpet, which is what you want. Never looks matted or laid down, very durable, and is very comfy to lay on. Best bet is to do a lot of homework on this as there is a huge difference in quality which in the end equals how long it's going to last. It all looks good when it's new but two years from now, how is it going to look? If you are selling two years from now, it can make or break your sale if it's ratty looking. Just my 2 bits.

Users who are viewing this thread