Reputable Modular Engine Builders

racebronco2

Established Member
I recommend Superior Automotive in Placentia... great attention to detail, clean shop, and good customer service.

If this is the same place that used to be in Orange, I would never ever take any work to be done there. The corvette that i am a crew member on had too many problems. Last time we were there they insisted on us paying cash, it was friday night and we had to be at an event on Saturday. We had paid with checks for almost a year or so. We always gave a deposit. We were able to find a place that had several thousands of dollar to pay the bill. We had enough after several blown engines. We had to call the cops for some of the parts to be returned to us.

Nolimit

Established Member
I have been recommended MHP as well by a known friend. I spoke with L&R mad was quoted about 3500 give or take for the rebuild which is reasonable. He suggested against buying an aluminum block and said stick with the iron block for strength said not worth the weight savings, so I figured i can put that money someplace else, but he also would like the engine alone no car which I'm starting to find more common.

I was thinking of buying a remanufactured engine from Steve but I would rather pick out better pistons and do pnp work on the heads since the engine will be out. The revised engines heads are mainly superior due to the cooling correct. I can just buy one of the head cooling mods and spend the saved cash on upgraded valve train...my thoughts anyways.

I want the engine to be able to handle 800-900 up one day in the far future when I put a turbo in it. I do want to be able to run E85 as an option and 91 on nitrous, so I want to beef up the long block to handle it. Any suggestions or considerations?

I will start calling shops on Monday for quotes and see where I stand. I want a shop familiar with the cobras because I also want to install full tilt boogies IRS ultimate bushing kit and I hear they are a PITA.

Superior automotive was also recommended to me, on their website they show they have a engine dyno meter which stood out to me I'm not sure if every shop has one.

Thanks guys for all the help is must appreciated. :beer:

Nolimit

Established Member
I have also stumbled across the ford big bore block, I guess I an use stock crank and rods with bigger pistons to achieve 5.0 displacement what do you guys think about these? The appear to only be available in iron.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
They're a good easy option to get you 5 liters of displacement however they are heavier obviously and also don't come finished and will require a finish bore/hone on the cylinders.

Nolimit

Established Member
Derrick at L&R hooked me up havent had a problem since.

Hey thanks for the tip, I spoke with some one at L&R might have been derrick and he was very informative and helpful seemed very knowledgeable and experienced in with the cobras and their factory pistons :shrug:

What did you have done to your engine?

GrayMach

Established Member
Manny's hardcore performance in Fontana, you get one year warranty with his build. He is a little slow, if you have the time then he is the best deal with a warranty.

Red BOLT99

Established Member
Coast High Performance there in Torrance Ca. Talk to Frank

Thanks for the rep!:beer:

I don't wanna get shit on by the mods so I won't price or quote on here.
So if I can help hit me up.

At Coast High Performance.
We've been in the stroker business since day one. Nuff said..:thumbsup:

Thanks

Frank Cedillo

99MystiC

Established Member
If i were you i would get with a friend and pull the motor and take the motor to Valley heads. MMR and all these big shops charge way to much. Valley was recommended by NA SVT a while back. My buddy had his motor work done over there. Talk to 99cobra09 he can tell you a bit more.

svtaddict

Established Member
Hey thanks for the tip, I spoke with some one at L&R might have been derrick and he was very informative and helpful seemed very knowledgeable and experienced in with the cobras and their factory pistons :shrug:

What did you have done to your engine?

i upgraded my pistons and had arp 2000 bolts in the bottom end connecting rods and studs and valve job. all because my oil pump decided to eat itself.

kingcobra323

Established Member
L&r assembled my 03 cobra with manley forged 8.8:1 pistons , manley bearings, ford gt cams, comp springs and retainers, balanced the crank, full valve job, timing chain retainers, oil pump, and water pump, and full gaskets and arp studs. I went slightly higher comp to lower boost and make more hp.

Posted via Topify using Android

Nolimit

Established Member
Thanks guys looks like i DO have plenty of options here local. Livernoise sounded nice but they are too far.

I tried getting on mhp website but it looks to be down, they are the closest to me. Anyone else deal with them?

Pricing is steep for removing this engine surprised was an understatement.

Any tips or suggestions for me on my rebuild? Looking for 800+ wheel power,and torque reliably. Will be running 91 and e85. First with the ported eaton and thrn step it up to the tvs or 2.8 kenne.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread