Reputable oil sampling companies for engine oil analysis

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a company that they have used to send out used oil for engine analysis. Also where you buy the containers to send the oil out. Greatly appreciate any recommendations.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone else need blackstone website here it is....thank your SVTP brothers!

Great thread if you sittin around getting paid overtime and looking for a good read

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LS WUT

Established Member
+1 for black stone. Been using them for years now. I love their email for their personal analysis. Got one for the Z06 the other day. I’ll be sending the GT500, and hellcat oil in this week. Love how they even tell you how much longer the filter could have gone before a change.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
To pile on, Blackstone. Been doing it for our sons E46 M3's for years, and 2 days ago got a report that the bearing are starting to go (~125k miles). This is expected, but still better to catch it early. 2 years ago, they also let us know on the other car, had the bearings done, and the ones that came out were indeed done.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
What changes do you make after getting the results ??
For me @1 Alibi 2 its just for documentation (Preventative Maintenance) Monitor internal wear and tear. With that said...... first sign of any potential issues and its getting torn down and completely forged and built. Maybe im just looking for an excuse to build the motor.......:)......lol.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I've done oil analysis on my track cars now for about 15 years - two BMW M's and two Ford Mustangs. I've learned a lot about what an oil analysis can tell you and what it can't.

Top 3:

1. Oil analysis tells you about the condition of the oil (not the engine). If your engine is going to have a crisis - broken rod, failed oil pump, broken ring, etc - that can develop quite quickly between UOA's. Typically, you'll never see it coming.

2. All is not lost regarding engine health, however. If you do UOA's regularly - every change, every 6 months or a year, etc - after a year or two or 30,000 miles or so, you'll have trending information that's reliable. THEN, if you see your lead level, which has always been between 5 and 10 ppm suddenly rise to 15 for two or more tests, it's possible you have an impending failure somewhere inside the machine.

3. Every time you switch motor oil types, or the manufacturer changes the formulation, you'll have one, maybe two, questionable UOA's. "Questionable" means "take the readings, particularly on wear metals, with a grain of salt". What happens when you switch oils is that the new type or brand of oil will have different detergents in it, and stuff the previous oil didn't catch will get cleaned up by the new one. In fact, if you've got a scrap of OCD in you, you might want to switch brands every few changes to take advantage of different cleaners in the different oils to keep the engine extra clean.

As an example of what I was talking about in 3. above, I did two UOA's on Motorcraft 5W-50 on my GT350. When I switched to Mobil 1 FS X2 5w-50, I had a spike in lead reported for the first UOA. Second one was right back to normal. Nothing to see here. I just switched back to Motorcraft, so I'll probably get a bump the next UOA as well. BTW - the reason I switch is cost - sometimes I get a great deal on MC, sometimes on Mobil. They're both great products.

As for who I use, I've used Blackstone and Dyson in the US, but for the last decade I've been using Caterpillar Labs. One of the things I learned over the years is that Nitration and Oxidation matter when it comes to oils creating varnish or sludge. Now, modern oils are vastly better than oil even just ten years ago, so it's not such a big deal. Nonetheless, I like CAT because they test for both routinely (no extra charge) in samples of gasoline engine oil. Blackstone doesn't test for either, although you can probably get it done for an extra fee.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I've done oil analysis on my track cars now for about 15 years - two BMW M's and two Ford Mustangs. I've learned a lot about what an oil analysis can tell you and what it can't.

Top 3:

1. Oil analysis tells you about the condition of the oil (not the engine). If your engine is going to have a crisis - broken rod, failed oil pump, broken ring, etc - that can develop quite quickly between UOA's. Typically, you'll never see it coming.

2. All is not lost regarding engine health, however. If you do UOA's regularly - every change, every 6 months or a year, etc - after a year or two or 30,000 miles or so, you'll have trending information that's reliable. THEN, if you see your lead level, which has always been between 5 and 10 ppm suddenly rise to 15 for two or more tests, it's possible you have an impending failure somewhere inside the machine.

3. Every time you switch motor oil types, or the manufacturer changes the formulation, you'll have one, maybe two, questionable UOA's. "Questionable" means "take the readings, particularly on wear metals, with a grain of salt". What happens when you switch oils is that the new type or brand of oil will have different detergents in it, and stuff the previous oil didn't catch will get cleaned up by the new one. In fact, if you've got a scrap of OCD in you, you might want to switch brands every few changes to take advantage of different cleaners in the different oils to keep the engine extra clean.

As an example of what I was talking about in 3. above, I did two UOA's on Motorcraft 5W-50 on my GT350. When I switched to Mobil 1 FS X2 5w-50, I had a spike in lead reported for the first UOA. Second one was right back to normal. Nothing to see here. I just switched back to Motorcraft, so I'll probably get a bump the next UOA as well. BTW - the reason I switch is cost - sometimes I get a great deal on MC, sometimes on Mobil. They're both great products.

As for who I use, I've used Blackstone and Dyson in the US, but for the last decade I've been using Caterpillar Labs. One of the things I learned over the years is that Nitration and Oxidation matter when it comes to oils creating varnish or sludge. Now, modern oils are vastly better than oil even just ten years ago, so it's not such a big deal. Nonetheless, I like CAT because they test for both routinely (no extra charge) in samples of gasoline engine oil. Blackstone doesn't test for either, although you can probably get it done for an extra fee.
Excellent info @JAJ Thank you for sharing!!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been using Blackstone for a few years. No complaints. They give you a nice summary of what the results mean with each test They will send you containers for free. You pay when they analyze it
This 100%.
+1 for black stone. Been using them for years now. I love their email for their personal analysis. Got one for the Z06 the other day. I’ll be sending the GT500, and hellcat oil in this week. Love how they even tell you how much longer the filter could have gone before a change.
Another vote for Blackstone. They provide containers and mailers to send the oil to them.
To pile on, Blackstone. Been doing it for our sons E46 M3's for years, and 2 days ago got a report that the bearing are starting to go (~125k miles). This is expected, but still better to catch it early. 2 years ago, they also let us know on the other car, had the bearings done, and the ones that came out were indeed done.
Blackstone

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Top 3:

So is there a right or a wrong place to take the oil sample from? Thru the dip stick to the oil pan or from the filter guys. Like to hear your opinions!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
For me @1 Alibi 2 its just for documentation (Preventative Maintenance) Monitor internal wear and tear. With that said...... first sign of any potential issues and its getting torn down and completely forged and built. Maybe im just looking for an excuse to build the motor.......:)......lol.

I monitor the mustangs oil for internal wear and signs of potential issues. It's cheap insurance to catch a bearing on its way out. I also have been doing my f350s to test increased oil change intervals
:iagree:
x2. These analyses are one of the first places increased wear will show. As an example, I have mine going all the way back to the beginning for both fun cars. They show one aberration, for the Shelby - a slight elevation in wear metals the year I logged ~20 race passes. This was completely expected and everything returned to normal in subsequent analyses, so nothing to worry about, but it confirmed their value (for me, anyway).

So is there a right or a wrong place to take the oil sample from? Thru the dip stick to the oil pan or from the filter guys. Like to hear your opinions!
I take mine about half-way thru draining the oil when changing it.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
As stated above, Blackstone recommends pulling the sample half way through draining the oil during a change. You simply put their bottle in the draining stream. They say if you pull the sample at the begining or end of the drain, might have concentrated materials.

Users who are viewing this thread