Restomod/Pro Touring Build Guidance.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, nowadays you can rebuild a vintage Mustang or Camaro from a catalog. Which is nice when it comes to little interior parts and decent body panels. I used to have to go to the Mustang Ranch. local to me, Mustang only salvage yard. Every weekend scrounging for parts. My dash pad is a rescue from the yard. Still is supple, been on the car now nearly 20 years. Jesus. Had to put the steering column cover under my tray in my toolbox. At the time they wanted 50 bucks for it. Now its offered in the catalog.

My old man works with a guy who has a 69' Camaro, and he paid a shop to install a Ls3 and remote res shocks, re engineered the suspension, sumped tank, willwood 6 piston, yadda yadda. He tracks with us at the road course. It seems like his car has lost its identity, he is looking to sell.

It's difficult to make an old car compete with modern cars. New cars are just so advanced in handling, and how rigid they are. Remember, the cars you are looking for are 50+ years old. We complain our Cobras are now 17+ years old.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Also, nowadays you can rebuild a vintage Mustang or Camaro from a catalog. Which is nice when it comes to little interior parts and decent body panels. I used to have to go to the Mustang Ranch. local to me, Mustang only salvage yard. Every weekend scrounging for parts. My dash pad is a rescue from the yard. Still is supple, been on the car now nearly 20 years. Jesus. Had to put the steering column cover under my tray in my toolbox. At the time they wanted 50 bucks for it. Now its offered in the catalog.

My old man works with a guy who has a 69' Camaro, and he paid a shop to install a Ls3 and remote res shocks, re engineered the suspension, sumped tank, willwood 6 piston, yadda yadda. He tracks with us at the road course. It seems like his car has lost its identity, he is looking to sell.

It's difficult to make an old car compete with modern cars. New cars are just so advanced in handling, and how rigid they are. Remember, the cars you are looking for are 50+ years old. We complain our Cobras are now 17+ years old.

So you are in Nevada? That’s the only mustang ranch I have ever heard of. The government tried to run it for a bid and screwed that up as bad as things are now

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
MOJO, that is very good advice. The auctions are full of fine examples of cars just like what you described.

And your advice is also spot on sir. @Blkkbgt you need to heed @oldstv, he's got a whole dang stable full of fine cars. I should know, I bought one off him, haha.

@Blkkbgt, we're sincerely trying to save you time, money & aggravation. Like @oldstv said, go drive a few before you start getting too carried away.

These projects always start off the same way, with the highest level of enthusiasm and excitement, but, like anything, the bloom goes off the rose, and then you're stuck trying to finish it. My neighbor across the street is perfect example. He's got '67 Olds vert all torn apart, the first few years he was gung-ho, stripping, cleaning, buying all kinds of parts, but each year I notice him spending less and less time. And he hasn't even got it ready for paint yet, after 7 years. I can tell he's not having fun any more, but I'm certainly not gonna bust his chops.

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
So you are in Nevada? That’s the only mustang ranch I have ever heard of. The government tried to run it for a bid and screwed that up as bad as things are now

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Haha, no. Used to be the best, there every weekend with the old man scrounging for parts. The land they ran it out of got re- zoned for a water treatment plant. Shitheads. I'm in Washington, the yard used to be in Bothell.

Users who are viewing this thread