Restoring black trim

CoastieStang

Established Member
I have a 2012 Edge and notice the wiper cowl and some of the window trim have begun to fade. What is the best over the counter product to restore it. I was think something like the Re-Nu products. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I use Mothers Back to Black. Doesn't last a long time but if you coat it every month I think you will notice it starting to last longer.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Solution Finish is what I have had very good success with. Just be careful, it will stain...and a little goes a long way!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
+1 worked on my Expedition like a charm...

It's a crazy trick that is hard to believe until you see it with your own eyes. The heat literally "burns" away the oxidation on the plastic. Just don't get it to close and melt the actual part.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
This! I use it on the plastic bed rails of my F150. It will last a while but the only downside is it may not come out looking perfectly even like a rub-in compound will.

Use the heat gun to get most of it off, then use a good vinyl product to even it out and help protect it.

FXR500

Established Member
Try starting with a clay bar. I didn't think it would work, but it pulled a lot of old dirt and coatings off. A good all purpose cleaner to start makes it go quicker. My faded gray F-150 bed rails look nice a black again. I still need to do the cowl.

I'm a fan of Adam's Polishes too, so I used their APC, clay bar with Detail Spray, and finished up with VRT cut 50% with water.

Users who are viewing this thread